Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How many of you shoot until it drops? >

How many of you shoot until it drops?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How many of you shoot until it drops?

Old 09-28-2006, 02:42 PM

Default RE: How many of you shoot until it drops?

Here's my take...Elk hunting last year in a stand, 6 bulls and 1 cow. I've got anantlerless draw tag. The young cow finally presents a broadside shot. I take it, it looksin my directionand so do the bulls, then they (including the cow)put there heads back down and start feeding on the oats again. I can't believe it, I missed. But I'm sure I hit it. I held right on the shoulder. This went on for about a 30 seconds (an eternity)before she started to stumble and then I knew I hit her, and it was about a full minute or two until she finally went down, that's when the bulls took off.
Anyways...had I not left mymagazine at home (3 hours away) I would have had1 or two more shots into the cow to make sure it went down...remember, I didn't even think I hit it even though I Knew I had to of. It just did not react to the shot at all. For those of you wondering I shot it with a 7MM RM with 154 gr. interbond boat tails. Turned out it was a lung shot.
I will shoot until brown is down!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

one shot one kill...i think
Old 09-28-2006, 06:49 PM
DM

they tend to run directly in the direction they were facing when shot..... This fact is the source of many a "charged by a b'ar" tale
I've found this to be true BUT, "most times" they only run "that" direction for a short distance, and then circle to where they have decided to go..

I shot a brown bear one time as it was comeing straight at me. It would turn slightly every few steps and show it's left shoulder, so i broke that shoulder with the bullit slightly quarting away and exiting. At the shot the bearturned 180 and ran as i hit it a second time anchoring it.

DM