Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 SxS or O/U ?? >

SxS or O/U ??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SxS or O/U ??

Old 09-07-2006, 07:51 PM

Default SxS or O/U ??

What's better for hunting upland...Side by Side or Over/Under??? Opinions???
Old 09-07-2006, 08:23 PM

Default RE: SxS or O/U ??

Neither is better. Good SxS's cost much more than good O/U's in almost all cases, but it comes down to what feels the most comfortable when you pick up the gun, and what fits you better. Either one will give you the advantage of having two separate chokes vs a pump or auto, but will limit you to 2 shells (never been a problem with upland as by the time you'd get the 3rd shot off they're long gone anyway). An O/U has the advantage of a single sight plane. A SxSis usually a little bit lighter and quicker handling, but that is dependent on the manufacturer. My 20ga O/U w/ 28" barrels is about 5 3/4 lbs due to it's alloy receiver (Browning Citori Feather), which is in the same neighborhood as a similar SxS.For strictly upland, consider something 20ga or smaller. The frame of the gun will be smaller/lighter, and the shells you're hiking will weigh a bit less.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:52 PM
DM

I prefer a S&S and shoot one better... S&S do have some advantages, and one that i like a lot is, you don't have to open the action as far to get theammo in the bbls.. This is really nice when your pass shooting and the birds keep comeing...

I'd rather have an older used higher quality S&S, than a new cheaper one...

Drilling Man
Old 09-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with riverotter. Its personal preference and advantages to both as DM stated with a little faster reloads. One thing I have noticed on the SxS's I've shot are they do have a little more felt recoil. The forstock's are typically a little smaller which in turn makes thema little lighter. Also if you shoot a SxS several times in a row you will want to invest in a good shooting glove for your forward hand. Being the forstocks are typically smaller you do getgood bitmore contact with a hot barrel! As for shooting they do throw up a little differently but as far as shooting they are much alike in feel. I also agree with DM on the fact of finding a good"older" used one. They are made better and feel better than these newer cheaper made models that the everyday hunter/shooter can afford.

I personally perfer the o/u's due to the selection of models that are out and the fact they do have a little less felt recoil. But again its personal preference. Shoot both and make a decision. I will say that when you get out of the truck with that SxS you will draw some looks!You don't see them everyday like the auto's and o/u's.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Typical Buck

I have seen more expensive o/u than I have s/s. I like either one really. Hard to choose my favorite.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

I have always favored a O/U because when you bring your gun up on a bird you have less barrel covering the bird. A Sxs has a different feel and it may be what you get started with first. I would say to try them both and see what you like.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

It’s all about personal preference. I much prefer a O/U for upland game birds and duck hunting because of the feel but there is nothing wrong with a SxS...
Old 09-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I prefer an O/U, but it really comes down to what fits you best and what you like. I've but thousands and thousands of rounds through my Browning Special Sporting Clays O/U, and it just fits right, points well, and I score with it. But, SxS is probably the "classic" upland bird gun.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree. Whatever fits you better. But personally I have a fondness toward nice SxSs. Call it nostalgia or whatever. If it fits you though, you can't go wrong with either.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:37 PM

I guess itcomes down to feel, availability, and affordability. There sure are more O/U than SxS available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.