Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Pheasant Hunt: Choke? Ammo? >

Pheasant Hunt: Choke? Ammo?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pheasant Hunt: Choke? Ammo?

Old 09-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pheasant Hunt: Choke? Ammo?

The height of the brass on a shell does not mean much anymore. In fact, most brass is really just colored steel nowadays. Only the better/more expensive target loads use brass. The steel or brass is not really needed unless you intend to reload the hulls. This is due to the extraction of the fired shell in semi auto's and pumps. The all plastic hull/base gets tore up rather quickly compared to the metal base.

The all plastic shell was by Active.

The are quite a few Browning Gold's owned in my group of buddies. Your factory Mod or IC tubeswill be just fine. Which Gold model do you have onebadf250?

For pheasants I like Fiocchi "Golden Pheasant" loads in 2 3/4" 1 3/8oz of #5 or #6 at 1,250fps. Another very good load is the Winchester "Super Pheasant" loads that have similar specs. The Fiocchi loads are nickel plated and the Winchesters are copper plated. I like plated lead for any thing I plan on eating. They also tend to pull less feathers into the meat.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Worc, Browning gold 3 1/2" hunter all black syn stock and barrel. 28". I originally bought the gun to turkey hunt with so I could retire my Mossberg 835 shoulder tenderizer! Once I got it I started shooting skeet and dove hunting with it and I love it. I liked it so much I sold my berreta 391 skeet gun b/c I quit using it. I shoot better with the browning. I got the gun used fromsome guy whowas trading it in for a super black eagle and I just happened to be standing thereand offered him $50 bucks more than what the gun shop was offering on trade and he took it.He said it had only shot10 shells through it and I believe him. It was super clean and you couldn't even tellthatit had ejected a shell. The only choke I had was a full. I have since bought a skeet and I/C for it. I want to get a modified and imp mod forthis trip though.

I'll have to hunt down those shell loads. We don't do alot of pheasant hunting here in south AL and NW FL. Maybe I can get some off of gunbroker.com or at the basspro thatsan houraway. I like plated loads for my turkey shells as well. They pattern better due to them holding their shape better. With all lead shots the spread is a little more spread out and there are always a few flyers.

Worc what kind of Browning do you and your buddies have? Some of the guys I dove hunt with in North AL are Brown Gold fanatics. I just wanted an auto that would shoot 3 1/2's for turkey hunting.I was tired of that 835 whooping me. Everytime I shot it I would have to collect my senses before I could retrieve my bird.Taking the fun out of it. I'm a gas operation guy on my auto's. I'm not into all the inertia operated mechanism. They are to loose and floppy for me. And they kick quite a bit more with the heavier loads.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Spike

I agree with Rammer, a full loadof 6's does more damage than the heavier shot sizes. True you have less pellets with larger shot but when they hit they transfer more energy for a better/quicker kill with less damage to the bird. If you're that good that you can consistantly 'smoke' the bird with a full load of shot, use a more open choke.

My 2 cents worth;

Early season...high brass #5's, in the O/U I'd go with imp. cyl. & mod., in the Browning I'd go with mod.

Late season when shots tend to be longer...high brass #4's, in the O/U I'd go withmod & full, in the Browning I'd still go with mod.

There is less chance for cripplesto run when they hit the ground when using #5's & 4's.

Question?? I saw a post where someone referenced "low brass" 5's & 4's. I haven't seen those loads availablefor quite some time. Who offers them?Thanks. NYCHunter
Old 09-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Remington Express Long Range 2.75 # 6 High Brass. Save your meat for eating.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Worc what kind of Browning do you and your buddies have?
I'm on my second Gold 3 1/2". My first one was a MOSG with 28" barrel. My newer one is the same with the addition of the Dura Touch. My best buddy has a Gold Classic Hunter (3") with a 28" barrel and another buddy has a Gold Hunter (3") with a 28" barrel.

I use my Gold for Waterfowling mostly. I have taken some pheasants with it but, I leave that work up to the Franchi AL48 in 12 gauge with a 26" barrel.

Cabela's has Golden Pheasant loads.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20841&rid=&indexId=cat20841&navActi on=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&paren tType=index&parentId=cat20841&id=0012667

Mack's Prairie Wings has the Super Pheasant loads.
http://www.mackspw.com/item.asp?im=X12PH+4&d=Winchester_Super_X_Super _Pheasant_Loads_12_Gauge_2_3%2f4_Inch_1_3%2f8_Ounc e_Box
Old 09-07-2006, 07:10 PM

You can't go wrong with a load from Winchester, Federal or Fiocchi's golden pheasant.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use IC choke almost always for Pheasants. Modified at close range turns them into mush. Opening season I go wtih 2 3/4" 5 or 6 shot lead. Later with cold weather and birds have more feathers up North here, I go with 4 shot and up to 3" heavy loads to knock them down and keep them down, most of the time.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

I use Improved Cyl. the first week or two and then switch to mod.and I use high brass 5's. I