Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Pheasant Hunt: Choke? Ammo? >

Pheasant Hunt: Choke? Ammo?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pheasant Hunt: Choke? Ammo?

Old 09-05-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pheasant Hunt: Choke? Ammo?

You shooting #6s does more damage to the bird than a larger payload of larger shot. I clean around 2000 birds a year that are shot off my property and I've seen what every combination of loads do to the birds.

I reccomend the real heavy stuff when there is about a foot or more of snow on the ground, the wind is blowing 30mph and the birds get up at the other end of the field when you step out of your pickup in the crunchy snow. Hunting is tough, and when a shot presents itself you WANT a dead bird.

Yes, I also shoot geese with that Kent Faststeel load. When you head shoot the roosters it don't matter what they are hit with

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

ORIGINAL: Rammer

I run a lodge and I reccomend for 12 gauge shooters this. 1 1/4 of #4 or #5s for opener with IC or Mod choke. Later in the season I usually bump it up to 1 5/8 or 1 7/8 of 2s or 4s with a mod choke.

If you are a steel shot shooter, I use Kent Faststeel #2s at 1560fps, works very very well on birds.

1 5/8 oz??? 1 7/8 oz ??? 2's and 4's turkey loads on a pheasant?? IMO thats over doing just a bit. I strongly disagree with ya!! its a pheasant not a turkey......[:'(] then the #2 fast steel thats just nuts thats the same load i use for 50 to 60 yards pass over shots on canadian geese. you obviously dont want your clients to enjoy a tasty entree of a pheasant breast rather you would have them eat pheasant burger peppered with shot.[:'(]

You really dont need anything more then hi brass #6's Ive downed birds asfar as 50 yards with hi brass #6's doesnt happen alot but the hi brass #6's will do it if you put your shot string where it needs to be..
Old 09-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot Browning 12G with Full choke and Express Long Range High Brass # 6. My young ones started with improved but moved up to full as they got faster and more accurate on the pull. Hunt for a bit with full - if you are missing them, change your choke to modified.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a modified choke with 6's in the early season and 4's late season.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like a modified and No. 5 & 6 shot.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Ok, I have a question. Rammer must know what he is talking about! Why do the Ammo manufactures also recommend #2's and BB's for Pheasant? It must be a seasonal thing!
Old 09-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rebel -

I believe this was more of an older day steel shot thing. Back when the fastest steel load you could find was 1200fps (if you were lucky). Now that they came out with this super-velocity steel shot, I don't think it is as big of an issue. I know for a fact that old, slow steel had a hard time killing anything (didn't pattern well, and we could actually hear pellets bounce off of high flying geese). The ammo makers always have had the reccomendation of #4 shot (lead)for pheasants, and back in the day the equivelant (powerwise/knockdown) was #2 or BB Steel.

My old man shoots almost all his pheasants with 3" 4 shot steel around 1425fps or so. He doesn't have any problems killing birds, its either a clean miss or a dead pheasant. The only reason I was shooting those 2s last year is because I bought 2 cases of 'em and I needed to burn 'em up.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Dont have to dress them.....
Old 09-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

Dad gum, I wasn't expecting all the responses. Looks like I'll be needing to purchase another choke or two. I know I won't be shooting 3" shells though. I don't need my cheek being smacked around all day. I shoot alot of dove here in the SE each year and have found that an I/C choke andhigh brass #7 or 8's do the job on the first shot.Low brassand all plastic shells areonly good onorange birds, I want some knock down. We won't be hunting over any water so I think Lead shot will be ok to use. Looks like there is a consensus on the #4's or #6's. I'll have to agree on the 3" #4's and 2's, I have taken a many a turkey with that kind of load. May be over doing it just a little. I'm all for having a little more than necessary though. I use to do alot of skeet shooting and besides my turkey gun all my other shotguns have 28" to 32" barrels. I like my 28" guns especially since I'll be carrying them around all day. Hence why I'm taking the baikal o/u and browning gold.

Thanks for all the good advice. What kind of ammo do you guys like to use? Winchester, Federal, Fiocci, Estate??Anyone use something special? This will be a one time deal for meand all its costing me is my plane ticket, license, and food, I'mhaving to skip myIL deer hunt due to a conflict in scheduling so this is my big trip for the year and I don't mind spending a little extra on something that will make my hunt go better.I heard Estate ammo was purchased by Federal. Guess we can say good bye to the $2.79 skeet loads! I personally like to use Federal for most of my dove hunting and have switched over to Remington 3 and 3 1/2's Nitro's #4'sfor my turkey hunting.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hairtrigger

I have not heard "high brass" in years.
Brass is for decoration. You can buy an all plastic hull in a reasonably heavy load.
actually the higher brass helps prevent hull failure under the higher pressures of the heavier loads. An all plastic hull?? never seen it..... unless you mean low brass shells where then the heaviest loads available would be a heavy field which is 3 1/4 dram equiv. with a 1 1/8 oz of shot usually in #6 through #8's which is plenty for most pheasnat situations but later in the season its nice to have some extra pellets in the string for those longer shots.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

An all plastic hull?? never seen it.....
I’ve used and reloaded with all plastic hulls in the past. I don’t remember what make they were but they gave me problems with my Beretta and ended up tossing them...

Quick Reply: Pheasant Hunt: Choke? Ammo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.