Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

243 on elk

Old 08-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 243 on elk

Its Legal in Most states and I have talked to those who have done it. However I subscribe to the theory that a bullet of at least 260 SD should be used for elk. The 6 MM does not have such a bullet. I wouldn't use it but With careful shot placement it will work.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:06 PM

If you absolutely can't get a 'large' rifle, or borrow one, load up with 100gr nosler partitions from federal. Elk are an awfully 'tough' animal and have huge lungs so willvery likelyrun a fair distance if you don't clip the heart also with such a small cartridge. The sometimes tough neck shot will get an elk down in the snap of a finger, even with the 243;and thanks to the partitioned bullet penetration will be deep.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting whitetails with .243... possibly. Hunting Elk with it, unless you're stranded in the wilderness with nothing to eat and all you happen to have is a .243 and you happen to see an Elk to shoot to try to save yourself... NO. Don't try this.
Why encourage someone else to make a poor decision and loose track of a wounded Elk because of using less that the proper round for the job.
P.S. Once you post, be willing to stand up and justify what you're saying. No

ing Please!!
Old 08-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

Its Legal in Most states and I have talked to those who have done it. However I subscribe to the theory that a bullet of at least 260 SD should be used for elk. The 6 MM does not have such a bullet. I wouldn't use it but With careful shot placement it will work.
The most popular game bullet among 6.5mm fans is the 140 grain. It has a SD of .287, about the same as the 190 grain match bullets made for long range .30 caliber target rifles or the 160 grain 7mm bullets intended for deep penetration in heavy game. Typical reloads drive the 140 grain bullet at 2600-2800 fps. A good shot with a "puny" 6.5x55 Swede rifle loaded with 140 grain bullets can take most of the big game animals in North America.
If it is a herd of pachyderms that needs to be thinned, use the long 160 grain bullet. 160 grain RN solids (loaded in the somewhat smaller 6.5x54 Mannlicher cartridge) are what the famous British ivory hunter WDM Bell used to kill the many of the 1000 or so elephants he shot in East Africa. A 6.5mm 160 grain bullet has a SD of .328, about the same as the 220 grain .30 bullet (also used successfully on elephants) and greater than the SD of any other commonly encountered bullet except the 500 grain .45 caliber, which was designed specifically for killing elephants. So, you see, when I suggested the 160 grain 6.5mm bullet as the answer to a pachyderm problem I wasn't entirely kidding! Reloads for a modern 6.5x55 rifle can drive the 160 grain bullet at 2450-2500 fps for serious punch at woods ranges.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

Just say NO to the 243 if youre going after elk. And take a chill pill!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

RH. You bet. There is a good reason that the old swede will shoot through most any critter in NA with room to spare. Even the 129 Hornady has an SD of 263. A friend of mine shot a nice elk with the 260 and the 140 X bullet. It went through both front shoulders and beyond. This at 300 yards. Never sell the 264 bullets short.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:20 PM

Shoot the heaviest bullet you can, make a clean responsible shot, hunt an area that it is easier to find a wounded animal.

Yes I too think there are better choices, but of all the people in the world that think it is responsibleto hunt with a bow, I think a 243 can at least match that killing power.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Practice, Practice, and then Practice some more. Stick a 100gr Nosler Partition in the boiler room and it kill it. Make sure to pump 2 or 3 or even more rounds in it if you can. The 243 will kill an elk, and if that is all I had to go elk hunting with I would not feel under-gunned.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:24 AM
Typical Buck

Well the thread has been tame so far. And so far no one has given a relavent answer to him. No one so far has said that they have actually used a .243 on elk.

And neather have I so I will not add two bits on my opinion,that you are not looking for.

Robin down under
Old 08-26-2006, 04:47 AM

we an't got any elk we can shoot here in ms. but we got some hogs that make elk look like bunnys. i have killed a few with my 243 but like others said the heart has to be busted or you have to follow it into the swamp. and its a crazy man that follows a wounded boar into his jungle. 2 of the boars i shot with a 100 gr fed went all the way through the body and i recovered one bullet from under the hide,that is if you could call it a bullet. one of the biggest went down hard and fast others ran into the brush, i was shooting single handed so i could only get off one shot on most of the pigs even though i had a barr in 243. thats one thing about a hog when shot they seem to leave the area like stanta clause. if you do get the chance make darn sure the shot you take is a perfect side or slight angle away from you and put the bullet into the upper arm pit, or right behind the ear in the center of the neck. before you try this make sure you can hit a 2 inch circle at your choice range or don't do it. just keep in mind that a small deer shot with a big gun in the wrong place will run away and die and you may never find it. just think how far a long leg elk running down hill through thick timber could go before even looking back that is if he even stops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.