Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

243 on elk

Old 04-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chiefks
I am thinking about going on my first elk hunt nextfall in colorado on a late season cow elk hunt.
Back to the OP.......

A late season cow elk hunt can be tough. There is a lot to prepare for and equipment you will need.

The elk are on high alert by this time and can be tough to get close to. They will not come to a call during late season and the only good a call will do you is stop them in their tracks. It will still do that.

I have seen it snow 5 feet during first season on the flat tops. So don't let the term fall elk hunt fool you. You need to be prepared because the weather can be terrible or not so bad.

I've seen first timers get lucky and take their elk with no plan at all how to get it off the mountain. That's a thread of it's own though.

You are going spend some dough on this hunt. Why limit yourself. Spend 300 bucks and buy yourself a 30.06.

My advice on this subject is very good and spot on. Most any experienced elk hunter would agree.

I wonder how his hunt went?

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 04-19-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
I work in the hunting indusrty and have several personal freinds that are big game outfitters, they will tell you that they cringe when they see a customer arrive at elk camp with a 300 weatherby or ultra mag, because most of the time they cant shoot but because they have that mag they think they can kill a animal at 500+ yards. When someone shows up with a 243 to hunt elk, you can bet your bottem dollar that man is confident with his weapon and can shoot it very well.
I've talked to quite a few outfitters that have told me this. I also asked if they would guide me i i showed up with a 243,all said yes, but they would rather see me show up with a 270,308 or 30-06 if i was able to shoot resonablely well.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

...Deleted by CalHunter...

That's funny because you don't know me from a can of paint to make that statement! FYI you'd lose a bet on that one buddy because I've shot over 100 whitetails, mulies, elk, antelope, and feral hogs since I started hunting in 1953 and have easily seen that many more shot by friends, LOL!

"I would put money on that more game shot with these mag rifles are wounded and lost on the average than are wounded with a 243, because people know there limitations and wont take shots of 500 yards or more."

I would agree that there are probably more lost with those other calibers than with a .243, but it's because there are very few people out hunting elk with a .243. I do agree 100% that a person should not shoot anything bigger that what he can easily handle without flinching, etc. To do otherwise or think that a big magnum is going to bail you out on bad shots is not proper thinking on ones part.

Last edited by CalHunter; 04-21-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

Technically any caliber can kill an elk. Depending on shot placement, range, etc. One way to look at is with a .50 cal sidelock muzzleloader. People shoot and kill elk with that at 100 yards or less with a patched round ball. Your muzzle velocity is way less compared to a .243. I wouldn't hesitate to kill an elk with one. Most people think a .270 is under par. I killed a cow elk looking straight at me through the chest blew her heart apart and she still ran 200 yards. (that was with a .270) The only way you can get a elk to drop in their tracks is a spine shot, head, or blow out a shoulder. Just if you use the .243 go with the 100 grain bullet. Either hornady interlock(NO SST) or Nosler Parti.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 50calty
Technically any caliber can kill an elk. Depending on shot placement, range, etc. One way to look at is with a .50 cal sidelock muzzleloader. People shoot and kill elk with that at 100 yards or less with a patched round ball. Your muzzle velocity is way less compared to a .243. I wouldn't hesitate to kill an elk with one. Most people think a .270 is under par. I killed a cow elk looking straight at me through the chest blew her heart apart and she still ran 200 yards. (that was with a .270) The only way you can get a elk to drop in their tracks is a spine shot, head, or blow out a shoulder. Just if you use the .243 go with the 100 grain bullet. Either hornady interlock(NO SST) or Nosler Parti.
Here is a guy that knows what he is talking about. I can tell by his responce that he HAS shot elk, unlike some on here that claim the experence that they have but will tell you a heart lung shot always drops elk. Anyone that has shot very much big game knows that a majority of the time with a heart, lung shot the animals are going to run, no matter what it was shot with. Enough said!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tell you the last six bull elk that I'm talking about that were shot through the ribs didn't go down on the spot? That's what it sounds like because I didn't agree with you and apparently the other poster does and I don't take kindly to that Mr. Fritz1. Yea, I've seen heart shot animals animals run a long ways. I've also seen a fair number of animals run when shot through the ribs and I didn't say they ALL drop, so at best your reading comprehension sucks! I've seen a large number of animals of all sizes that either I or a buddy have shot that have dropped on the spot without being hit in the shoulder, head, or spine. Some call it hydraulic shock, while others call it hydrostatic shock. Whatever you want to call it, if you hit an animal with enough poop and the right bullet, there is just as much chance that the animal will go down on the spot as run. A good example is the nice 4x4 mulie I shot last year that was 125-135 yards and he went down on the spot when hit with a 150 grain Hornady BTSP 30-06 handload. He was slightly quartering away and the bullet centered his heart and went out between the front legs. No head, shoulder, neck, or spine was hit! When the gun went off it rocked him around sideways and he went down and never twitched.

Last edited by CalHunter; 04-21-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Mr. Bigshot Fritz1! Here are the last three that went down on the spot in just the last two years with rib shots!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the way nice elk

Last edited by CalHunter; 04-21-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Last edited by CalHunter; 04-21-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

RR---...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 04-21-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.