Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

243 on elk

Old 08-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 243 on elk

but we got some hogs that make elk look like bunnys.
So how much does a hog weigh that makes an 800lb elk look like a bunny?
Old 08-26-2006, 10:23 AM

Lets see, so far this is what I've learned from yall. So far no one here has taken an elk with a 243, because of that I haven't got the information that I was hoping to get. So far I have just been told don't use the 243. If there's no way that you can get your hands on a bigger gun, then shoot the biggest and best bullet you can. Get close and be picky about your shots and be ready to take follow up shots.

Gives me a good excuse to buy another rifle, but them things aren't cheap and money don't go on tree's!
Old 08-26-2006, 10:53 AM

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1536904&mpage=1&key=poll?

By BrushChimp:
Killed 3 elk with .243 and 1 with a .30-06. I'd have to say my favorite cartridge that I have shot an elk with would be the .30-06. The .243 is just too small. For clean effective kill EVERYtime.

================================================== =======

Also the poll results from "Poll Elk Cartridges Preferences" at
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1536904&mpage=1&key=poll?

What is your current favorite elk cartridge that you personally have actually used to take elk?

You post, I'll run the tally:

1 - 7mm-08
8 - 270 Winchester
12 - 30-06 Springfield
1 - 270 Winchester Short Magnum
11- 7mm Remington Magnum
1 - 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum
5- 300 Winchester Short Magnum
12- 300 Winchester Magnum
1 - 300 Weatherby Magnum
4 - 300 Remington Ultra Magnum
2 - 30-378 WeatherbyMagnum
7 -338 Winchester Magnum
4- 338 Remington Ultra Magnum
1 - 340 Weatherby Magnum
1 - 350 Remington Magnum
1 - 358 Norma Magnum
2 - 375 Holland & Holland Magnum
1 - 416 Remington Magnum
---

[Stick Flippers: 4]
[Smoke Poles:2]
================================================== ======

If money is that scarce then an elk hunt is going to be a stretch....
IMHO, 30-06'sARE as common as leaves on trees so borrow one, sharpen up, get after them, and leave the 243 at home.

If no upgradeto your firearm can be arranged, then CDOW will glady refund your license fee via internet prior to the first day of the season; for the sake of these majestic game animals, please ask for the refund rather than take a pop gun.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:21 PM

Elkampmaster you have a PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: chiefks

Lets see, so far this is what I've learned from yall. So far no one here has taken an elk with a 243, because of that I haven't got the information that I was hoping to get.
If you read into all the messages you should have gotten all the information you need. DON'T DO IT. We are not peons that sit behind a desk and type on this forum all day.....well some of us are....but you are talking to experienced elk hunters.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:37 PM

Haugenna, I really haven't learned what I was hoping to. Actually I have yet to hear from some one that has used a 243 on a elk hunt and what thier experience is, which is what I was wanting to accomplish.I stated right from the start I know there are better calibers, I have a 243 and I know its been done. So what are peoples experience with it on elk. So far I haven't heard from anyone who's used it on elk. If no one hear has actually done it, then thats ok.

If I do get to go on a late season cow elk hunt, then I will more than likely either buy or trade to get a bigger rifle. Savage makes the same gun I have now in a 308. Thats big enough to elk hunt with.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Perhaps I didn't state it clearly in my first post,but I have witnessed a couple of elk taken with the 243win.I did not pull the trigger,but Iwas present tosee the animalsreactions to the shots and the results when we dressed the animals.In both cases the elk ran off,in one case falling after a hundred yards or so,in the other,a long tracking job and a second shot were required.The first shot was a perfect lungshot,and the second hit a shoulder and barely penetrated doing little damage to the vitals.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:19 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: chiefks

Haugenna, I really haven't learned what I was hoping to. Actually I have yet to hear from some one that has used a 243 on a elk hunt and what thier experience is, which is what I was wanting to accomplish.I stated right from the start I know there are better calibers, I have a 243 and I know its been done. So what are peoples experience with it on elk. So far I haven't heard from anyone who's used it on elk. If no one hear has actually done it, then thats ok.

If I do get to go on a late season cow elk hunt, then I will more than likely either buy or trade to get a bigger rifle. Savage makes the same gun I have now in a 308. Thats big enough to elk hunt with.
You seem to have it all figured out. I say go ahead and buy it. Shoot, buy 5 of em. Won't bother my hunting.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:34 PM

Stubblejumper, you said it fine in your first post. Ishould not have said that no one has given thier experience with it.Thank you for posting your experience is. It does help.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

chiefks
A good thread that I think you started off well and have handled all the "input" well. I hope the popcorn crew were not to disapointed that this thread did not turn into a scrap. Goes to show that mature people can have a mature discussion. Even about the relative killing ability of the .243.

Robin down under

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.