Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester and Browning Enter Firearms License Agreement >

Winchester and Browning Enter Firearms License Agreement

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester and Browning Enter Firearms License Agreement

Old 08-19-2006, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winchester and Browning Enter Firearms License Agreement

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

Now mabey there wil be a decent Winchester. winchester has been lacking since the 1960's in my opinon. I hope Browning will give then the boost they need.
brownings not gonna be making winchesters..... Im not sure but I want to say FN has been making rifles under the browning name for 50 or 60 years or so. so an actuall browning company is technically non existant other then just a name.... Since the 1960's FN herstal has also been making winchesters in the US repeating arms plant here in the USA but not untill about 1 year ago and after losing the rights to the winchester name from OLIN corp. FN decided to shut down the US repeating arms plant. Then now FN renews the contract with Olin corp. to use the winchester name again but only they will be made in Japan along with the Brownings... technically browning and winchester dont exist other then the just being names that FN pays the rights holders to use the names and patents under contract. You following me here? browning wont be giving anything a boost...
Old 08-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

So it turns out to be a corporate whoodoo with the sole purpose of shutting the plant down to move production overseas...they can shove em either way.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:44 PM

Browning has always been a trademark not a manufacturer. I don't think fn has owned usrac from its beginning. Does anyone know when fn bought usrac? Winchester has been a trademark only for over a half decade. It just so happens that US repeating arms co. chose to use the old winchester plant. This trademark thing is also showing up in the remington line in the form of eastern European firearms sold under the remington name.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

"FOR SIMPLICITY I'M REFERING TO THE CO. BY THERE LOGO"

for my 18th birthday I was gonna get a model 70 in .458,(First gun I waslegally gonna buy) but then my hopes were crashed and now Im confused, Is Browning actually gonna make Winchester guns or is the Model 70 gonna bear the Browning logo? Maybe somebody can help me out. and explain what Winchesters gonna be for the younger generations.
Because I always dreamed of my American made model 70 but it would feel funny to me ifI knew "The Gun That Won The West' was made in another country. ohh well my 2 cents
Old 08-20-2006, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

the gun that won the west lol.... if you want to know which guns actually won the west they were sharps and springfield trapdoors.

winchester may have won the interest of the west when the 30-30 win was developed in the 1890's. to be honest a real winchester hasnt been made for over 40 years.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

"Winchester, the gun that CLAIMED to have won the west."

lol thanks for the update. still though I hope somebody will continue their products. ohh yea and HighDesertWolfIf what i think is right the Sharps was a .45-70 right? I know they were single shots, but were the cartridges paper or brass? I have never actually even seen a sharps replica and ive been wondering that for a while now.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:03 PM

Griz,

The sharps started life as a paper cartidge (of sorts) rifle and later models used brass cases. The paper cartridges were kinda like a snow cone with powder in the cone and a bullet on top. That was loaded in the breech end and then a percussion cap placed on the nipple.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, Winchester almostLOST the West. The Indians that Custer was fighting had him severely out-gunned - they had Winchester 94s, Henrys, etc to the Sharp 45-70 single shots. [:@]
Old 08-21-2006, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: biggunz.45-70

Griz,

The sharps started life as a paper cartidge (of sorts) rifle and later models used brass cases. The paper cartridges were kinda like a snow cone with powder in the cone and a bullet on top. That was loaded in the breech end and then a percussion cap placed on the nipple.
the paper cartridge sharps were 54 cal. but when the sharps began using brass cased ammo they were available in many calibers. heres a list of the calibers I know of.

40/50 (Bottle necked cartridge)
40/70 (Bottle necked cartridge)
40/70 Sharps Straight (straight wall)
40/90
45/70
45/90
45/100
45/110
45/120
50/90
56/50 Spencer

Old 08-21-2006, 05:15 AM

FN doesn't seem to make a bad rifle under their name, the Brownings seem to be made well in the Jap. plant also. I just do not like the idea of an American icon being used to sell foriegn made products. Something about it stinks, just like the Winchester name being sold out.