Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifled choke >

Rifled choke

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifled choke

Old 07-25-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Rifled choke

I was wondering what the story was with rifled chokes...

I have a Remington 870 w/28" smooth barrel. I know you should shoot rifled slugs through a smooth bore, and sabots through a rifled barrel. If you stick a rifled choke on the end, what should you be using then?

Additionally, how much accuracy does the choke offer? If a smoothbore is at a "0" for accuracy, and a rifled barrel is at a "10" for accuracy, where would you think the choked smoothbore would land? Is it worth $40 of accuracy?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!
Old 07-25-2006, 04:12 PM

Default RE: Rifled choke

You could try sabots, but I wouldn't pick any real fast ones. You would probably have better luck with rifled slugs. I think they were originally designed to give a bit better performance with rifled slugs. Then fully rifled barrels became really popular, and after that sabot slugs, then recently the newer modern sabots.

I honestly can't tell you if it would be worth 40 bucks. I have never used one, I never actually seen one other than in a catalog. I have talked to people that have used them and it seems a bit iffy. I have heard of guys that got better accuracy with a smooth bore than guys with a rifled choke. And the other way around of course. I would think it really boils down to how hard you look for the right ammo.

Putting it on a scale from 1-10 is pretty difficult because it would really depend on the particular gun and how well it liked the ammo you were using. Technically it should give you slightly better accuracy and extend your range some. How much and how far is hard to say. I have seen guys that claim accuracy as well as some fully rifled barrels with a smooth bore, so anything is possible I guess.

Paul
Old 07-26-2006, 02:26 AM

I have a rifled choke made by cation for my 1300 winchester.http://www.cation.com/choke-tubes.html This choke is well made and is $43.95 + $4.95 shipping. It doesnt shoot regular type slugs very well although it says it can by the manufacturer, but will shoot the sabot type extremely well. I got alot of leading with the all lead type.My friends 870 is the same way except he uses a factory remington rifled choke. His is extremely accurate out to 100 yards with sabot slugs. I think it is worth the money if you plan on shooting sabot slugs. Leave the foster type or regular to smoothbores. Good Luck!!!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 12:01 PM

Remington make what they call a Buckhammer and it is designed for rifled choke tubes.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the replies folks! Once I get everything set up and rolling, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:53 PM

B. OTT,
About 4 years ago I decided to buy a rifled choke. I first became aware that they made them when I was working in this gentleman's house. Of course this gentleman was a hunter.I noticed he kept a winchester 1300 out on his porch during duck season. I started asking him questions aboutits accuracywhen it threwslugs.I told him that my father had a winchester 1300 with a rifled barrel that couldn't shoot worth a lick. He then told me that his was a smoothbore with interchangeable chokes and that it was the best gun he has ever owned. He told me he hunts duck, turkey, rabbit and deer with it. However, he told me that when he first baught it, he used a improved cylinder choke and modified cylinder choke to shoot (rifled slugs) with it. He said that he couldn't get a good group with it at all, he tried all different brands of rifled slugs too. Since he didn't have funds to buy another gun he was discouraged because he didn't want to sell a gun that was so good at everything else. But he still wanted to big game hunt with it too.So, at a local gun show, he spoke to a man there that had a booth open and was selling all types of chokes. He went up to the booth because he wanted to buy a new turkey choke. Thats when he seen a choke that said rifled on it. He inquired to the man about it and asked him if it would work and if he had one that would fit in a 1300 winchester. The man had one there and this guy baught it. He went out and baught some good quality sabots and went to the range.

This gentleman said that he couldn't belive the difference in his groups. He was getting the best groups ever out of any shotgun he had ever shot.

Thats what encouraged me to go out and buy one for my 870 12 ga.
I purchased a briley diffusion choke at a local trap shoot. I went out and baught some partition golds. I too was very supprised at the results. At 114 yards I was fitting 15 shot groups in an area smaller than a tennis ball. It's not tack driving, but at 114 yards with slugs, its darn good for me. About 2- 2 1/2 inch groups lets say. and thats not 3 or 5 shots either. Thats 15 shots (ALL) in that area.

For the cost of 40- 60 dollars, I would give it a shot in your 870. You might just be suprised. Hopefully everything works out well for you, GOOD LUCK
Old 07-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got one with my smoth bore slug barrel... At 75 yards it will group around 4" with Rem rifled slugs...