Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hard headed people >

Hard headed people

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hard headed people

Old 07-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hard headed people

Iwork with this guy back home. He came to me last season complaining about missing a buck. He asked what could be wrong as he couldn't hit any thing else either. I asked about his rifle. he said that when he bought the rifle, the gunshop owner bore sighted it for him. He never zeroed it. I explained that bore sighting was pretty much just get him on paper at 25yds. Then i explained what to do. He came in the next cussing my name. He had shot three boxes of ammo out of his 300 ultramag( Georgia deer). He had tried to go out to 100yds. and zero his gun instead of 25. Any of you guys ever deal with these kind of nuckle heads?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:05 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Hard headed people

Wow, I don't think there is much hope for him. As my grandpa used to say, if your goin to be stupid, you better be tough.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

No i don't think there is either. The saying makes since too. And just incase any body gets the wrong idea. I ment start at 25yds not zero for 25 yds.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

He had tried to go out to 100yds. and zero his gun instead of 25.
There is nothing wrong withstarting at 100 yards after a proper bore sighting.I have been doing this for over 20 years without a problem.I am always on the paper at 100 yardsafter I dothe bore sighting.

He had shot three boxes of ammo out of his 300 ultramag
However that is foolishness.If you aren't on the paper at 100 yards,either use a bigger target or move closer.Wasting three boxes of ammunition and not being sighted in is certainly not very bright.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

Starting at 25 keeps me from making a 200yd round trip in bad mood.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Then you need to find someone that actually knows how to boresight properly.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:40 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Then you need to find someone that actually knows how to boresight properly.
Or buy the good arbors to boresight. I have a boresighter, thats basically useless with the clip, I have much better luck locking the gun down and looking thru the bore at the center of a target 100 yards away, moving the scope.

But with the good arbors that compress's in the barrel, they are not that bad. But even then they can't compensate for different height scopes. Some super low, some high.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

Bore sighting is a useful step if done properly. But you can't rely on it as your soul effort. And i never said you can't be succesful starting way out there. I have just always done it that way. Check it at 25, then move out.He never fired that rifle until he missed that deer. And the hard headed part come in after i told him how to do it. Then he proceded to ignore what told him. Then heblamed mewhen it didn't work.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow that is areal hard head. I have one of the arbor bore sighters and it does put me on paper. I personally start at 25 or 50 yards becuase it is easier to see bullet impact and know I am on paper. After I get it zeroed at 50, then I move to 100 yards and tweak it. It works for me and now, as in most cases when I zero, I go to the range with 5 rounds, well more, but use 5 rounds or less, to verify the zero. Then I move to the next rifle and verify, etc, etc. During the season I may go once a week for 3-5 rounds just to make sure it is where it was suppose to be.........

but three boxes, definate hard head!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Fork Horn

Just five rounds?? I could never stop at just five. I always take what shot best last year along with all the new stuff or what i had never tried before. I am always looking for that slightly tighter group.

Quick Reply: Hard headed people

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.