Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Thinking about building a new Encore Barrel >

Thinking about building a new Encore Barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thinking about building a new Encore Barrel

Old 07-12-2006, 07:08 PM

Default Thinking about building a new Encore Barrel

I am thinking about building a new Encore barrel for elk & deer. I was wondering what you guys would recomend? I don't like a ton of recoil[:@],anything bigger than a 30-06 will have a muzz break.
I am thinking about a tapered barrel in 26" range, Or maybe a heavy taper....Just don't want anything to heavy for them mountains[:-].....suggestions please
Old 07-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thinking about building a new Encore Barrel

i have several different barrels , the one thing that i discovered some time ago was that a rimed case cartridge is a lot easier to handle than one without. mostly the thing that i like is the extractor does not hold onto the spent case,and for the most part the case will fall right out so that you don't have to get ahold of it to remove it,and if your wearing gloves the conveyances of this happening saves time and aggravation.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, if ranges aren't too extreme, I think a .35 Whelen(not too bad, I've been shooting 250 grainers since I've been 15)would be a good choice. Or you could go with my personal favorite calibre, the 6.5x55 Swede (extremely low recoil, but hard hitting)I've heard people taking moose withthe 6.5(Rebel Hog, I'm talking about you), so I'll assume it'll take a elk. Both aren't extremely long range calibres (I'd said under 200 yards, especially if you go with the 6.5 for elk, and limit yourself to broadside), but other than that, I'd say you're good to go.

Cory
Old 07-15-2006, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

"virginvalleyguns.com" site is not working right now but they build just about any ENCORE barrel you could ask for.

On another note, I picked up an encore barrel at an auction that is stamped 22/250 but it has been rebored to 22/243. I don't know if I should get some dies and spend the time cooking up loads for it or just sell it off. Anyone done anything with such a beast?

Robin
Old 07-15-2006, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Duffy, do you know the phone # for virgin valley guns? i'm looking for a slim pistol grip for my encore so i'm trying to contact as many shops as i can in hopes that i can have one made.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it was me,the 7mm STW would be my choice...
Old 07-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Duffy

"virginvalleyguns.com" site is not working right now but they build just about any ENCORE barrel you could ask for.
The last I heard about Virgin Valley is that they no longer make rifle barrels and just sell small items like hammer spurs and such for the encore, if they are still in business...