Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 gun lube/protectant >

gun lube/protectant

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gun lube/protectant

Old 05-14-2006, 01:13 PM

Default gun lube/protectant

ive had two occasions where severe weather effected equipment function. 1) coyote huntin in februrary in the mountains. didn't have a thermometer; but the grease in thefocusing mechanizism on my glasses and scopefroze up so hard they could not be ajusted.........2)my stainless mod700 got rained on then sleet, snow and freeze. the bolt froze shut.

ive since removed all light oil coatings prior to sight in b4 the season; but have had no adverse weather ta cause similar probs.
anyway's i got some action wax. i dabed some on a saucer and putit in the freezer. it stayed viscus and plyable so i cleaned the bolt's on my BA's and put a very light coating on the bolt and chamber lugraceway's.

im thinkin oil gells up in the cold and a light coat a this action wax is better than the spray graphite or teflon cuz it repels water; and ya can control the amount better. but i don't know???????????

what's yer thoughts?????????????????????????????????????????? ???

early
Old 05-14-2006, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gun lube/protectant

Haven't had freezing rain shut down a piece, so you are one ahead of me there. But I have been North of the Arctic Circle, and had used too heavy an oil on my 1911 .45 which froze until I stuck in under my belt for awhile. (Eeyi!) So now I use light machine oil unless in the tropics where I might go heavier, but never in excess or internally in trigger or bolt pieces. Light oil is not pricy. Always have some.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I've neve had oil lock anything up. I use a CLP but just wipe it on. Ever since I had water from rain the day before freeze up the firing pin on a Sako years ago. I leave my firearms over a heater at the end of a day and am a little protective of it when it rains. I've hunted in 20 below celcius with my SP10 with CLP and never had a missfire or jam other than once when a metal piece of the follower jumped over its stop. I use just enough to prevent rust and thats all. If its just cold I don't think a very small coating of oil willl cause any problems. As far as scopes go, none of my Leopolds or Nikons have given my any problems. Yes at 30 below they are stiff and slow. You might want to call the manufacuterer to find a solution and test it in your freezer. Doesn't just burn ya when you miss an opportunity? I missed a shot at an Elk in Wyoming near Larimie a few years ago with the Sako episode. I freeking well forgot to take my FA 454 that day, yup the bolt felt awful cold in my pants too!
Old 05-14-2006, 08:26 PM

I have never considered using a wax. I rub down all of my components to remove all of the excess oil, then I put on powdered graphite. Works very well for me, and I hunt in some darn cold weather from time to time. I know many other guys around here who do the same thing. Getting a little water on my action has never worried me. I just make sure I dry it off good when I get back home at night. Getting snow and water on my scope does worry me, though, because it is difficult to shoot when you cannot see, so I have have a pair of those Blizzard Creek scope caps that flip up with the touch of a finger installed. I got the ones with the clear plastic in the middle so that I can still take a quick shot in a storm if necessary.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Based on a recommendation from my local gun shop, I've been using Shooters Choice All Weather High Tech Grease. It has a temperature range of -65 degrees to +350 degrees. No issues what-so-ever.