Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7 Remington mag Elk/deer bullets >

7 Remington mag Elk/deer bullets

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7 Remington mag Elk/deer bullets

Old 04-16-2006, 12:11 PM

Default 7 Remington mag Elk/deer bullets

Well As of yesterday irecieved a early 16thbirthday present ,a savage 7mag(model 111fcxp3) And i just need a lil advice on whatkinda bullets i use and i have time to go to the range b/c i wanna get the feel of this gun and i need to site it in and i plan on bringing a variety of bullets with me.. BUT WERE DO I START???????? iI hunt elk just as often as i hunt deer..... Thnx for your help i really appreiciate it!
Old 04-16-2006, 12:16 PM

Default RE: 7 Remington mag Elk/deer bullets

And to add up to the top up... Something with good ballistics and aall around bullet for long shots to 350yrds(crossing fingers i conect with target lol) and as short as 15 yrds on either deer or elk just depends on which i run into first...
Old 04-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Does someone that you know reload or are you limited to factory loads?As far as bullets go,the 140gr tsx works very well on game from deer to elk,and has been accurate in most rifles.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

The old standby Nosler Partitions would be an excellent choice as well. 140 grainers should do it all. You can reload them or find them factory loaded from Federal and Probably others as well.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

winchester loads the accubond I would give that a shot
Old 04-16-2006, 03:25 PM

I'm a 7mm freak, so great choice on the caliber. We have so many 7's in the family/group, my friends call us the "7mm club". Our group has killed 100's of Elk and Mule Deer over the years and we all use the same handload (20+ years and going strong).

Anyway, with all that said, I personally think that a 160 gr bullet for the 7mm mag is best around. I personally shoot Nosler AB's & Partitions and Hornady Interbonds out of mine. All perform beautifully. Grew up on Speer boat tails with the same results, I just prefer the newer technology from the bonded bullets. The 160 gives you everything you need, energy, yet generally flat.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:53 PM

Anotheryoungin' with a 7mmRemMag.
Your group has a fine tradition going IMO.

There is hope for this country yet.
Proud of you man.
================================================== ==

My experience is best with Nosler Partitions and Barnes TSX, though there is lots out there I haven't tried. Whenone find something superb, one usually sticks with it.
I now use nothing but TSX.

I agree with using a bit heavier bullet (like the 160) for elk.
Deer, well it just don't much matter.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you are just getting use to the rifle (practice), I would shoot about 140 or so rounds of inexpensive ammo till you get to know your rifle. You should be able to find "WOLF" Gold Rifle Ammo for about $13.00 a box some where in CO.

For deer and elk ammo go with Barnes X, Nosler Partition, TBBC, Swift A-Frame, or Winchester Fail Safe. Find out which bullet your rifle likes best; the above bullets will all do a great job on elk and deer for you. If you just want to use one bullet for elk, and deer I would go with a 160 gr.

Don't forget to save all your brass just incase you get into handloading. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:53 PM

I use the Federal Premium ammo with the 150gr Sierra Gameking bullets. They work great for both deer and elk. Flatter shooting than the 160gr bullets but a little harder hitting than the 140gr bullets. Good compromise and very accurate IMO.