Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun scopes

Old 04-14-2006, 10:06 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Shotgun scopes

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

Bigcountry is correct that they no longer make the leupold VX-II 2-7x33 in the shotgun model...however it is still produced ina standard model. The only difference being that that the so-called shotgun model featured a heavy duplex reticle while the standard model features a regular duplex reticle. In my opinion the heavy reticle is certainly not necessary for this scope, and I actually found it a bit of distraction when sighting in the gun at 100yds.
Also, my shotgun VXII has paralax set at 75 yards I believe.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:17 AM

It is an 1100 with a rifled barrel, I have looked at the B-square mounts and I am almost positive that is the route we will take as far as mounts go. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

Bigcountry is correct that they no longer make the leupold VX-II 2-7x33 in the shotgun model...however it is still produced ina standard model. The only difference being that that the so-called shotgun model featured a heavy duplex reticle while the standard model features a regular duplex reticle. In my opinion the heavy reticle is certainly not necessary for this scope, and I actually found it a bit of distraction when sighting in the gun at 100yds.
Also, my shotgun VXII has paralax set at 75 yards I believe.
Yes this is also correct. I have the shotgun model as well and forgot about that difference. Honestly, I am not sure that it would make any difference in hunting situations under 100yds though.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:39 PM

Something to keep in mind if you are getting a reciever type scope mount is that your rifle has a removable barrel. If you mount your scope to the reciever and then remove your barrel to clean it you will most likely change the point of impact causing you to have to sight in again. You might get lucky and it will stay the same though. I would not hunt with it without shooting it first to make sure everything is still on though.

If you want an accurate slug gun you normally either need a barrel mounted scope or have your barrel pinned to the reciever. My suggestion would be to get a barrel with the cantilever scope mount.

As far as not being able to take the shot because of the range, well that is why it's called "hunting" not target shooting. I admire your dad for knowing his limits and not taking a "hail marry" shot at it anyway regardless of it's size. Many hunters would have tried it. Some peoples ethics drop the bigger the rack gets.

Paul