Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Stainless Steel >

Stainless Steel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Stainless Steel

Old 03-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Spike

Default Stainless Steel

Are the Browning A-Bolt Stainless M1000 Eclipse rifles actually stainless, or are they nickel plated... Is it correct that Stainless doesn't rust and barely even tarnishes? What are your feelings on the Browning A-Bolts vs rifles with comparible features.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:26 PM

Default RE: Stainless Steel

The stainless used in firearms will rust if not taken care of. It is just more forgiving in harsh environments. I have seen rusted Berreta pistols, ruger pistols, Browning Abolts, and Remington 700s just to name a few. Some makers use nickle plated parts in some areas instead of stainless. I dont know about the Abolts but I think the remington 700 had some nickle parts. I think the abolt is a good rifle. I like the short bolt lift or throw. They seem to be accurate and most come free floated. The new XCR from remington is supposed to be stainless with a nickle coating and then some type of ceramic based coating on that. Its supposed to be rustproof. Ive seen some new coatings that are ceramic based that can coat the outside and inside of rifles making them rustproof. I think it is CeraKote. Here is a link

http://www.larsontactical.com/id23.html
Old 03-24-2006, 06:45 PM

American pioneer is correct, the stainless on guns can and will rust. I have also seen ruger 77 stainless starting to rust. you will still have to take care of them, But it will be harder for theSS to rust than blued steel.Alot less maintanence but I would still try to maintain it the bestI could.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Spike

Thanks guys, was just wondering if its worth the $200 for the SS. I'm saving for two, one chambered in .22-250 and one in 7mm WSM. At least... I think I found the one I want anyway...
Old 03-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Abolts are SS barrels and actions but internal guts are not, common though with most SS models.

Like mentioned still require oiling and care just a bit more forgiving/user friendly.

Question though why the eclipse? I assume the 7wsm is for hunting and the eclipse is a heavy rife to be toting - 10lbs bare bones. I shoot with 2 guys who have 300wms in the eclipse and once you tack on scope and must have harris bipod they tip in much higher. neither gentleman use these guns as their main hunting rigs, more for target or when sitting over large fields. Just an FYI. Neither rifle is SS, they have the green laminate so the matte blue looks good.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Spike

I like the gray laminate thumbhole. The .22-250 will be a bench/varmint gun. The 7mm WSM, a versatile hunter. But when I hunt I dont carry the rifle further than from the truck to the blind -- which isn't more than a few hundred yards in most cases. If my legs feel up for a lot of walkin' I'll use a pistol.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:57 PM

Some grades of stainless are rust proof , but they lack the toughness to hold up in a firearm. Just like a knife they require a certain ammount of carbon to make them hard enough to take the wear and pressure that firearms demand. The tinnefer finish that Glock uses on their guns is as close to rust proof as you will find in the firearms industry, I don't understand why more arms makers don't use it also!
Old 03-25-2006, 11:11 PM
bigcountry

Stainless don't rust easy but powder and copper fouling and chemicals to clean it out can pit the barrel.

Myself, I love brownings but those eclipses ain't worth the extra price. But I find thumbholes cumbersome in the woods and need to take left handed shots alot but some love em.

Let us know how they shoot.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stainless steel gets its name because it merely stains less. All of my rifles are blued, and just a little simple maintenance has kept them from rusting.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:29 AM

If you want the ultimate in stainless get a Remington XCR that puppy will stand up to just about anything certainly more then we can by a long way.