Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Comments on Nosler Accubond and Barnes Triple Shock bullets >

Comments on Nosler Accubond and Barnes Triple Shock bullets

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Comments on Nosler Accubond and Barnes Triple Shock bullets

Old 02-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Comments on Nosler Accubond and Barnes Triple Shock bullets

The American Hunter magazine put out for NRA members had an article praising the Black Hills Gold ammunition. I see they have some offerings in .243 95 grainNosler Partition; .25-06 100 grain Barnes Triple Shock, 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip; and .30-06 180 grain Barnes Triple Shock and 180 grain Nosler Accubond. Any comments on these bullets? How does .25 caliber 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip do on antelope and deer in a .25-06?
Old 02-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Comments on Nosler Accubond and Barnes Triple Shock bullets

I would bet the 25cal 100grain bt will work great on deer size game. I have used 95 grain bt out of a 243 with good results. I like the accubonds alot they are good shooting bullets but hold together better then the bt.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

The triple shock has become my favorite big game bullet because it is very accurate in my rifles and performs extremely well on big game.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:41 PM

Accubonds A+. Triple Shock D-. Regards, Rick.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have used both the 100 Gr and 115 Grain Nosler Balistic tips in my 25-06. The are very accurate and performed well on four Bug Mule deer last year. Three were shot with the 100 grain and one with the 115 grain. All were simular hits and I could really not see much if any difference between the two bullet weights. The 100 grainers were driven at 3050 fps and the 115 at 2976 fps. Chronographed. The cosest shot was 75 yards and the longest about 200-225 yards. I would like to try the 110 grain Accubond but have not found any in my area yet. However I could live with just the BT's for deer. Nothing really could have been more effective. IMO all were one shot kills Three droped in their tracks and one ran about 30 yards.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Nosler Ballistic Tip is still my favorite deer sized game bullet. It has always proved deadly both on gameand on the range. I have also had good results with Nosler Parts and Nosler Accubonds.

In 05' I used the Barnes TSX for the first time in the field,it proved to be awesome for bigger game but I wasn't overwhelmed with its work on a couple of mulie does. It did the job but personally likeother bulletsbetter for this application in my 7mm rem mag(at least at this point).

Honestly they are allsolid choices and will get it done on deer/antelope but may not all be equal on paper, so go with accuracy.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience with the Ballistic tip bullets I can't recommend them for deer on any caliber less that .30 caliber. The jacket is too thin and it fragments and blows up inside the animal. It will get the job done but be prepared for sparse blood trails since you probably won't get an exit with them. Partitions have been proven for years and except for the guy above, I have heard nothing but positive about the Barnes Triple Shocks.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mike, FYI my experience with the TSX on deer was small wound channel, poor blood trail, both animals were rib in & out/lung shots. The TSX is an awesome bullet and if I aimed at bone on deer (ie shoulders) it would most certainly be tops on my list but at this point I will load it for my moose & elk hunts. BTW, I have harvestednumerous deer/antelope with the NBT with the vast majority producing pass thru's, not 1 blood trailissue but then again I haven't really needed it either as theanimals have never travelled more than 100 yards after the shot. Most of these were shot with .277 & .284 caliber bullets!

Like you just passing on my experiences.