Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anyone ever tryed These on Game?? >

Anyone ever tryed These on Game??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone ever tryed These on Game??

Old 02-17-2006, 03:27 PM

Default Anyone ever tryed These on Game??

I have always used Nosler BT for small game and the Nosler Partitions for big game and liked them very much. But tried these Lost River J36 in my 7mmwsm at 3300fps 140gr Lost Rivers shoot some flat a B.C of 644.
note photo of three bullets and look how sleek the lost rivers are. Have not had chance to try on game. If anyone has tryed them i would like to hear your opinions
Just a Crazzy old Canuck

Old 02-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anyone ever tryed These on Game??

I have used the Nosler Partition and the Nosler Balistic tips in many calibers with excellent sucess. I have not tried the other brand. However I have heard pretty good reports. For deer, its hard to bear the Balistic tip. The heavier ones in each caliber are made for big game while the lightest in each caliber are made more for varmit shooting. In the 7mm's like the 7mm-08 and 7x57 Mauser I would use the 140 grain. For the 280 and the 7Mags I would go with the 150 grain or heavier. I don't remember how heavy they come in 284.

The Partition works well on all game animals but is really not needed for deer. I often use them in a dual purpose rifle like one that may see use for deer and bigger game as well. When in doubt, you just can't go wrong with the Partition.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: James B

I have used the Nosler Partition and the Nosler Balistic tips in many calibers with excellent sucess. I have not tried the other brand. However I have heard pretty good reports. For deer, its hard to bear the Balistic tip. The heavier ones in each caliber are made for big game while the lightest in each caliber are made more for varmit shooting. In the 7mm's like the 7mm-08 and 7x57 Mauser I would use the 140 grain. For the 280 and the 7Mags I would go with the 150 grain or heavier. I don't remember how heavy they come in 284.

The Partition works well on all game animals but is really not needed for deer. I often use them in a dual purpose rifle like one that may see use for deer and bigger game as well. When in doubt, you just can't go wrong with the Partition.
Thanks James B very good feedback thanks
Old 02-17-2006, 08:31 PM
bigcountry

If you really interested in Lost river, go to accurate reloading.com. There are some members that have used them on game. Also I think longrangehunting also has some members.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Their J36 bullet is made for hunting I bought some of the .308-180 bc.672 they sayin the 300rum with86 grains of rl22 you can move them 3350fps I havent tried them yet the accubonds seem to be doing it for me I cant get them to shoot bad they work so good I dontneed to try anything else maybe Ill stick'em insome 300 winne brass this weekend but its to dam cold here in mn to go shooting
Old 02-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

2joutfitters in texas use these bullets exclusively in the 257 ferguson rifle this is a 7mm stw necked down to .257 this is a screamer shoots flat out to 500 yds check it out www.2joutfitters.com chad
Old 02-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

hehehehe I kinda want one. Bet you could go through barrels quick in that little bugger.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:21 PM

I got some of the J36 135 grain .270 a couple years back. I have been testing bullets in water soaked phone books for about 30 years, and tried these in a 24" stack. It exited the stack and I found it in the sand bank behind. The 30-06 180 grain Remington Corelokt factory loads normally penetrate about 12" in the phone books. Nosler Partitions about 16". Barnes X about 18". The "wound channel" of the Lost River was also very small compared to other hunting bullets. In fact, of all the hunting bullets I have ever tested, the Lost River had the most penetration. Only solids penetrated more.

I'm afraid to try these on game.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:50 PM

How far do you expect to shoot game. Do you need these bullets, as I've not seen them priced anywhere they're probably very expensive. Just don't forget rem.corelocks and speer hot cores and similar bullets. Often they're all thats needed, and you don't get raped at the register. If you're not shooting more than 300 yds you don't need them,the impact difference wont be more than an inch or so.Actually the benefits of any boattail bullet will not be measurable untill about 350-400 yards compared to a flat base bullet. This doesn't include the new hornady leverevolution ammo since it is replacing flat nose ammo it shows a huge balistic benefit at a shorter range. The hitec stuff has a real place in the sporting market, but it is quiet specialized. Dont spend it if you dont need it!
Old 02-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

How far do you expect to shoot game. Do you need these bullets
No probley not but thats the fun of reloading for me soaking everybit out of a round. I bet the old core locs bc isn't that high.I have to go try these babys on paper at500 yards and see whatthey do compared to the accubonds what do you guys think. Im pretty new on this reloading deal but man its great Im never bored now. I just wish for it to warm up again.