Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 has anyone tryed the first cut 90g  broadhead >

has anyone tryed the first cut 90g broadhead

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

has anyone tryed the first cut 90g broadhead

Old 08-19-2003, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default has anyone tryed the first cut 90g broadhead

My local bow shop guy got me to try the 90 grain first cut broadhead. Im not sure what I think about them. Has anyone here hunted with them, and what did you think.

I found there flight ok, the bow shop guy told me the penetration is very good. I havent hunted with them yet. Im a thunder head fan and am a little leary using the first cut instead of my thunderheads.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: has anyone tryed the first cut 90g broadhead

I can' t speak for the 90 grainers but I did use the 125 grain first cut and it performed ok.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:50 PM

My quiver is full of them ! I tried them for the first time last year after hearing positive results from a member of our local archery club. Great flight and excellent penetration. The eight-pointer I took last year was what convinced me that these heads are effective and economical.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks sky and antler eater
Sounds like you have had the same experience as my pro guy.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:42 AM

I have used them and am not overly impressed. I killed a couple of bucks with them.
Accuracy was good but I found them to be inconsistant. Some would group good and then there were flyers. Had a friend try them and his were worse than mine.
Penetration is good , but no more so than any other head I have used. They are not that sharp out of the package, if sharpened they may penetrate even better.

Bloodtrails were average !

Durability - I was a little disapointed. I shot through 1 deer and the head remained in tact. The other was my largest buck and I got lucky and got more than one shot.
The first shot - 1 lung/liver the arrow passed through and was in tact.......he started running and I got him to stop again by grunting and flung another one hitting him in the spine (me or a flyer ??)[:' (]. Retrieval of that arrow found a bent ferrule and all of the blade broken & missing from the head.
Being as humane as possible .....I got down after the second shot and put one through the lungs , just to take him down quickly. That shot hit the far shoulder and bent the ferrule badly.

I quit using them after that.........just my .02 $ !! Good Luck !!