Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shot my xd this weekend! >

Shot my xd this weekend!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shot my xd this weekend!

Old 02-14-2006, 10:26 PM

Default Shot my xd this weekend!

First off, it's a sub-compact .40. I have a few complaints. The trigger pull feels like about 3 inches, guess that's the double action only for ya. Also, I didn't even want to shoot nemore cause the magazines were so stiff. It also kicked a ton which was expected but I think it's gonna take some work to get accurate, especially with that trigger! If anyone else has had these problems and knows how to make them better let me know! Thanks!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot my xd this weekend!

Practice..Practice..Practice!!! shoot it alot you will eventually get used to it. May even prefer it over anything else, I did and I do sometimes prefer a DAO gun now over a SA gun. I used to be all about the 1911 and still love them, but for a carry gun I deffinately prefer my DAO compact taurus millennium pro. with it I can put 10 rounds (full magazine) of 45 acp 230 grain ball into a paper plate at 20 yards shooting both in a 1 handed or two handed shooting position. When I took my CCW course I shot 100 out of 100 with it, only needed 75 out of 100 to qualify. My next purchase will deffinately be another DAO, ive decided on the XD-45ACP. good luck
Old 02-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not sure there can be much done about the trigger, thats DAO. The magazines will loosen up over time, everything is a little stiff when it is new, it needs just some breaking in is all. I know that you can get some metal lined mags for the Glocks, not sure if they are available for the XD or not, but that would be a good option for making it a little smoother with the mags. As far as it kicking a ton, that is the reason I don't like the 40. Its not that its a lot of recoil per se, its just a sharper recoil then say the 45 ACP.

HDW- I just saw an ad in American Hunter for the XD 45 ACP, I think I am in love, oh booooyyyyy. I have been waiting for this day since those things came out. I do like my 45 1911, but I really like my friends XD, and will surely end up with that 45 in the near future. Heck, it may even become my main duty gun
Old 02-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

the mags will loosen over time. You have to expect some kick with a .40 in a sub. Its a great gun though, you will be proud of your purchase. I have the XD9 service and have yet to find a better gun in that price range that offers as much as the XD does.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:11 PM

DOA's are awfull. I hate them. I bought a taurus millennium (before I knew much about handguns) just because I liked the way it felt in my hands. What a mistake. It had about a 45 pound trigger pull that makes you acually shoot about a foot to the left every time. Not only that, the magazine would fall out due to the recoil making my hands hit the button. Why not just get a DA/SA instead! Such a better design. You can even get the plastic light weight ones from like CZ and Para and such. Then you have the choice of SA/DA.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:23 PM

ORIGINAL: charlie brown

I am not sure there can be much done about the trigger, thats DAO. The magazines will loosen up over time, everything is a little stiff when it is new, it needs just some breaking in is all. I know that you can get some metal lined mags for the Glocks, not sure if they are available for the XD or not, but that would be a good option for making it a little smoother with the mags. As far as it kicking a ton, that is the reason I don't like the 40. Its not that its a lot of recoil per se, its just a sharper recoil then say the 45 ACP.

HDW- I just saw an ad in American Hunter for the XD 45 ACP, I think I am in love, oh booooyyyyy. I have been waiting for this day since those things came out. I do like my 45 1911, but I really like my friends XD, and will surely end up with that 45 in the near future. Heck, it may even become my main duty gun
You will love the XD 45 acp. I have had mine since right before christmas and it has been wonderful. They are going to be getting the acp in the tactical model (5" barrel) in the near future as well. I can't wait for that either.LOL Then my XD tactical collection will be complete.

As far as the trigger goes, you can send it in to the custom shop to be re-worked. They take it down to 3-3 1/2 pounds, and it does wonders for them. I have had this done to a few of mine. If you want contact info, drop me a PM. Good luck
Old 02-15-2006, 07:55 PM

Thanks, i need a speed loader and maybe let them sit full of ammo for a bit.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

The XD is not a double action only gun. It is striker fired and thus you are not pulling against the main spring (hammer spring) every time you pull the trigger. The XD functions nothing like the Taurus millenium.

There is a lot of creep becasue of the way the striker engages the sear. Most of that creep is just take up which is allowing the safety lever to begin pushing up on the striker safety to get it out of the way for the striker to fall and strike the primer. It's part of having a very safe gun that doesn't require manual safeties.

The 40 in the sub compact is a little snappy but is is very manageable. Besides, it's a compact gun firing a very potent round. It isn't made for long range accurate shooting. It entire purpose in life is to be concealable, relatively light weight, quick handling in close quarters, and deliver a substantial piece of lead to the intended target. That's it.

The trigger is easily workable by a compitent gunsmith. I have the same gun and all I to mine was polish the sear and striker and the trigger pull improved a great deal and breaks right at 4.5 pounds, which is plenty light enough for a defensive carry gun.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gandilamont

DOA's are awfull. I hate them. I bought a taurus millennium (before I knew much about handguns) just because I liked the way it felt in my hands. What a mistake. It had about a 45 pound trigger pull that makes you acually shoot about a foot to the left every time. Not only that, the magazine would fall out due to the recoil making my hands hit the button. Why not just get a DA/SA instead! Such a better design. You can even get the plastic light weight ones from like CZ and Para and such. Then you have the choice of SA/DA.
ofcourse you are entitled to your opinion, but i strongly disagree with ya. the trigger on the millenium pistol actually breaks at roughly between 6 to 8 lbs depending how broken in it is, which is also about normal for DAO type pistols. its still better then the DA trigger pull of a revolver..... but then the DAO probably doesnt bother me because of the fact my first gun was a DA 357 mag revolver and I shot that thing alot more then all my other pistols combine.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:12 AM

You think a trigger pull between 6 and 8 pounds is fine? At least with a revolver you can cock it and have a light trigger pull. See thats my point, with a DAO you only have one choice, a long heavy trigger pull. If I depended on a DAO to save my life I probably would be DOA! But to each his own. What ever floats your boat.

Quick Reply: Shot my xd this weekend!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.