Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Good 28 gauge bird gun? >

Good 28 gauge bird gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good 28 gauge bird gun?

Old 02-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Good 28 gauge bird gun?

Can anyone recommend a good 28 gauge, light, fast & handy? (Seriously, I am not talking about the latest accident in the news.) I have looked at that gauge for decades and thought there would be times I would rather carry that than my duck hunting twelve. Uff da! If you use one, I would like to hear. I would not go custom but I would consider a good double. Heh, heh. Gotta retire someday.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Good 28 gauge bird gun?

I run a hunting lodge in SD and I have quite a few hunters that carry 28s. The majority have them carry Ruger Red Labels, and I've played with 'em a bit and they are a sweet gun for sure. Extremely light, and fast to point.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Typical Buck

browning offers it in the browning BPS pump shotgun , and remington offers it in thier model 870 pump shotgun , and used to offer it in thier model 1100 , all of those are fast and pointable , and don't cost anywhere near as much as a ruger red label. it's also offered in quite a few side by sides and single shots , like the NEF shotguns , and the H&R shotguns , and in models such as the stoeger side by side shotguns , and they for the most part are very , very affordable
Old 02-14-2006, 06:34 PM

I would think that if you find any 28ga shotgun, it would be a good quality.
I just can't imagine budget or junkgun makers selling to the market that generally go with the 28
Old 02-14-2006, 08:01 PM

No offense too others here, but STAY AWAY from the plethora of cheap former soviet countries and Turkish built doubles if you are looking for something comparable too Red Labels, Win.s, Citori's or Onyx's. I likewisewould recommend against the common guns like 870s, 1100s or the cheaper single shots. They are "ok" but not nearly as comfortable as a good quality double. As for the Stoegers, they are but ashadow of their former selves. 10-20yrs ago Stoeger stood for topquality and were high line guns. Now after Beretta bought them out, they have relished them too the cheap import status. I have a Stoeger side by side (12ga) at work and it feels just like what it is, a $400 double barrel. I havebeen around old$20k Stoeger side byswhose only common trait with todaysversion being that they both goBANG!

I have had a Citori for nearly 20yrs and love it. BUT the Beretta White Onyx and Silver Pigeon are "IT". EVERY wingshooter deserves to treat themself too one at some point in their lives. I mean they are THAT dang good.

I would recommend taking a look at the Sliver Pigeon S w/ 26" tubes if you are wanting a first rate 28ga.

Good luck and enjoy,
RA