Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Big Game Handgun - Got the Bug - HELP >

Big Game Handgun - Got the Bug - HELP

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Big Game Handgun - Got the Bug - HELP

Old 02-06-2006, 09:21 AM

Default RE: Big Game Handgun - Got the Bug - HELP

Not so in this case. I have used the 44 Magnum to take most all of the NA big game. Its a perfect mix of weight size and power. To me its the most praticle choice in a big game hand gun. Any more weight and size makes no sense to me. Need has nothing to do with anything.
Have top agree, James. The 44 Magnum is a damn fine choice for a handgunner. But, like always....there are the folks who think you need more power. Evidently, animals are growing thicker skins these days. Used to be, you could kill anything in North America with a 270 or a 30-06...now ya need a Magnum.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Right on. Myself, I don't need to try to pack a Four and a Half pound pistol around as a backup and as far as hunting for bears, give me a rifle any day. The 500 to me is an expensive toy that has no value to me as a handgun or a main weapon for hunting. Its a novelty for those who have the extra bucks to lay out for them. As far as deer hunting or back-up I will stay take the 44 Mag. If anything would apeal to me as a bear backup, it would be the Ruger stubby 454. It is at least carryable at 41 oz.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

44Mag will do the jobs you're interested in just fine.

-Load it with 44 specials for personal defence against humans and dogs.
-Use 240gr Semi-jacketed soft point magnums for deer out past 50.
-Stoke it with heavy, hard-cast lead wadcutters for bear defense.

I like my S&W 629 for a multi-role gun such as the one you're looking for.
Double action for defense, and a6" barell for adecent amount of hunting velocity/power. Stay away from the rubber Hogue grips on the Smith N-frames though. With their exposed backstrap, the metal frame digs into your hand when the rubber grips compress during recoil. A good solid wood grip fixes that prob.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:21 PM

I like my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44. It has a scope and a 10 1/2 barrel and has dropped alot of big game. Hogs in the 300 pound range at 75-100 yards with one good shot. Where I am now I haveno use for it and am selling it. But for a good handgun for hunting this is the beast. With the 300 grain Hornady XTP not alot of movement after the shot. The 44 provides a wide range of ammo depending on what you are using it for. i normally hunt with the 240 grain XTP for deer and works like a champ. The farthest i have shot a deer with this was about 125 yards. There was an article in guns and ammo years ago about the Super Blackhawk and XTP ammo and that is what spurred me towards the Ruger. The one they tested had a 7.5" barrel and they were dropping Pronghorn at 175 yards. The gun did have a mod on it and that was the barrel was magna-ported. My ad is in here if anyone is interested. Comes with alot of accessories and options. Thanks Mike
Old 02-06-2006, 07:01 PM

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. $1200.00 for a pistol to me is no differnt then spending it on a rifle. i personaly hunt 90% woods that is a little thick in spots and the furthest shooting is 100-25 yards with average 50-75. Some of these spots I travel to on a wheeler and it is much easer to me to haul the pistol, when in stand it would be know differnt then a rifle. I feel that I gain shot chances with the smaller frame of the pistol.As of now i'm leaning towards a 460 because I plan to use it as my rifle. There is a nice redhawk at Gander used for 325.That i have considered but feel more confortable with a little heavier gun, not knocking the 44 becuase I have a Ruger rifle semi that has killed many deer and would never part with it.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:42 PM

If I could do one thing to my Super Blackhawk it would put one of those clamp on butt stocks like that guy Lee VanCleve used in the Clint Eastwood westerns. I think I spelled his name right. I have about 600 tied up in my Ruger but that is becasue I have 3 sets of grips and invested in a good scope, rings and base. The pistol is great for those tight spots and where movement is limited like jordan8801 mentioned. I think of it as my handheld 30-30 brush gun. I don't use it for defense except for pissed off hogs. I have a 45 for personal/home protection. You are getting alot of useful information from alot of members. Hopefully all of it will provide you the info you need to make a good decision.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much does a New Model Super Blackhawk with the 5 1/2" barrel in SS run? I need to figure out what I need to get saved up. I should know by the end of the month whether or not I can afford to do this. Got a lot of expenses right now farming, so hopefully there will be some funds leftover.....
Old 02-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

They should run right around $500.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

So let me get this right......I just got the master catalog from Midway today....If I order up all sorts of goodies for a 44mag and load them up, that means I will need to buy one, right?
Old 02-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like the way you think. This thinking has got me in trouble on the home front a few times but thats life.

Quick Reply: Big Game Handgun - Got the Bug - HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.