Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 question about deer hunting handguns >

question about deer hunting handguns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

question about deer hunting handguns

Old 02-01-2006, 03:17 PM

Default question about deer hunting handguns

hello,
i have a question about proper handguns for use in deer hunting. I heard that 357, 44 mag and a few others, but do yall have any other suggestion for a legal deer hunting handgun. I live in MD. Is it legal to use a semi auto? if so, please suggest a few of those - b/c i like semis alot more. I just have no idea of what type to get for hunting deer? please guide me along. thanks a million
Old 02-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: question about deer hunting handguns

Its hard to beat the 44 Mag Revolver for deer. Check out your state laws .
Old 02-01-2006, 04:14 PM

This si what the Maryland DNR has to say about it.

Handgun Regulations
Modern and muzzleloading handguns may be used to hunt upland game (except dove and woodcock) and forest game (except turkey), woodchuck, fox, coyote, opossum, nutria, fisher, skunk and raccoon. However, modern handguns may be used to hunt deer only in those counties where the use of a breech-loading rifle for deer hunting is permitted with the exception that modern handguns may be used to hunt deer throughout Frederick County. Any modern handgun used for deer hunting must have a barrel length of 6 inches or more and use ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more. Muzzleloading handguns (both single shot and revolvers) may be used to hunt deer in all counties. Muzzleloading handguns used for deer hunting must be at least .40 caliber in size with a barrel length of at least 6 inches and use not less than 40 grains of black powder (or a black powder equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead alloy or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge. Contact the Maryland State Police for information about handgun purchase, possession, transport and use in non-hunting activities.
So, if y ou hunt a county that permits it, you can use a semi-auto. As long as it has a 6" barrel, and produces at least 700 ft-lbs. But you will be hard pressed to get the 6" and 700 ft-lbs. I'm sure it can be done, but will probably be very expensive.Look at the Desert Eagle's and check their barrel length.I would say you would be better off with a 44 mag revolver.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:00 PM

Don't rule out the 41mag or .454 (ammo will be more expensive...but in the 454 you can practice with regular 45s) in revolvers

Old 02-01-2006, 07:19 PM

In N.Y. you can hunt with a TC Encore, and can get just about any rifle cartridge you want. I've got a 15" .44 magnum, my brother uses a custom .257 roberts. Use these, and you won't need a semi-auto.

KEJ
Old 02-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5508&return=Y

Add a scope n yer in.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:21 AM

If you want a semi-auto (though I would still recommend a t/c encore or good wheel gun) you can get a Glock 20 in 10mm. They sell a hunting barrel that replaces the factory barrel. The hunting barrel is 6" long.

You can then handload some good 10mm loads or buy some from double tap ammo. Double tap sells a 180 XTP-JHP at 1350 fps and 728 ft pounds.....

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=122
Old 02-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like a 44Mag from S+W or Ruger.

Illinois law requires the handgun to be at least 30 cal, and have at least a 4 inch barrel. It also requires the ammunition to be at least 30 cal and be able to produce 500 Ftlbs at the muzzle as published by the factory, and must be of the expanding type.

I didn't have time to read the regs posted above, but if they are similar to IL, watch your 357 loads. Some may dip too low in power. They are the bottom end for deer.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in MD also and I just recently purchased this gun except in 44 mag. I really like the fact that I can put a scope on it, and the Ruger came with rings!!! If the Semi is your personal preferrence then I say keep looking, but these revolvers when mounted with a scope can be lethal out to 100 yards. I will be rifle hunting in MD next year solely with my Super Redhawk.

p.s. keep in mind that us MD residents have a limited selection of handguns we can buy with our AWESOME laws we have in place