Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 on the subject of hunting with handguns >

on the subject of hunting with handguns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

on the subject of hunting with handguns

Old 04-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default on the subject of hunting with handguns

i feel that the single action revolver lends itself to hunting better that double action revolvers or auto pistols , i own three that are suitable for hunting use , a ruger vaquero in .45 long colt , a super blackhawk in .44 rem. mag. , and a blackhawk in .41 mag. , i feel they are better balanced , and have better triggers for the task , as in single action pull verses all that double action creep . , i do like some double action revolvers , and auto pistols powerful enough for the job but , feel the single is best .

what are some of your action choices , and thoughts on why you feel they are better ??? let' s see where this goes
Old 04-12-2003, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: on the subject of hunting with handguns

The Smith & Wesson double action and the Taurus have nice triggers right from the factory.....and you can shoot a double action in single mode.

If I buy a ruger SA, I send it out for a trigger job before I ever look at it.....I consider them woefully lacking in that category...there' s absolutely no disadvantage in a double action gun and as a matter of fact, their cylinder swings out making it a lot easier to eject spent casings and install new ones.

I just like the " looks" of the single actions.....but the doubles are probably better.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see no disadvantage at all to a DA versus a SA. Just a matter of taste. I generally thumb cock the hammer on a DA anyways. What I would really like though is something along the lines of a single-shot pistol in 375 Win. I think the Contender used to be chambered for it. As far as autos go, I personally have no use for one in the field other than a 22 LR for snakes.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either DA or SA make fine hunting guns.For the most part I shoot my DA' s in SA.One advantage to DA is you can get the shot off faster just squeezing the trigger,when seconds count.The DA is faster to load and eject fired cases. I' ve used both SA and DA' s.When I carry a sidearm during hunting season the Ruger Redhawk 44mag is usually the one I carry.It boils down to whatever you are comfortable with.I' m not much on carry a semi auto hunting, they have their place.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-14-2003, 04:09 PM

I' m suprised that no one has mentioned that a single action can be quieter. For those who don' t know, here' s the trick. Once you get in your stand (or wherever else your going) pull the hammer all the way back to fully rotate the cylinder. Then lower the hammer to the half-cock position. When you see your target you can pull the hammer back while squeezing the trigger. Release the trigger, then the hammer and you will be in the firing position without the noise of the cylinder rotating. Won' t work on any DAs that I know of.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Recoiljunky.Correct me if I' m wrong. It' s been awhile since I shot one of my New Model SA Ruger' s. If I remember correctly they don' t have a half cock anymore.The old model did and was used to free the cylinder up to rotate.Like I said it' s been awhile but I sure don' t remember a half cock.To rotate the cylinder on the new models you open the loading gate up.Your system would work with an Old Model but not a new model.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-15-2003, 07:41 AM

I believe you' re right RR. The method works on FA and older Rugers. By the way, do you know when Ruger switch to the present design?
Old 04-15-2003, 09:40 AM

I' ve hunted with both SA and DA and don' t care either way, but just to be nitpicky...the DA normally has a shorter hammer fall when firing it single action as compared to most SA guns, so as far as accuracy the edge would go to the DA. Same priciple as a short lock time bolt in a target rifle versus the longer fall in a sporter. As I said it' s nitpicking, but there is a difference.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Recoiljunky,
If I remember right it was 1973 when the transfer bar was added.I' m 99% sure it was 1973.I don' t remember what year it was they added the warning on the barrel.I believe it was close to that time.If I' m not mistaken it was by a court order partly in a agreement dealing with a lawsuit that was brought against Ruger Some Yahoo shot himself and tried or did sue Ruger.Bill Ruger was very big on safety but I' m sure it wasn' t his idea to add the warning.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-15-2003, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Recoiljunky,
I looked it up the Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks " Old models" were made from 1956-1973.
Ruger Redhawk

Quick Reply: on the subject of hunting with handguns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.