Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

question about pistols in MD

Old 01-24-2006, 03:05 PM

Default question about pistols in MD

wuts up people,

basically, i live in MD and i have a question regarding having pistols in MD, especially while hunting. There arent extremely dangerous predators here but there are some bears, wolfs and coyotes running around here and there. I am wandering if it is legal to carry a pistol while hunting, (not hunting with the pistol, just having it for extra protection). I am only 19 years old, so i legally cant buy a pistol on my own, but i have a mom or dad who will so i was wandering if it is legal. Also, how would i go about hunting whitetal with my pistol? Do i need a special permit? thanks for your responnses
Old 01-24-2006, 03:28 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: question about pistols in MD

Well, one you are legal I believe to buy if you are over 18. Two, there ain't no wolves in MD. Three, most all state lands, you are not allowed to carry a pistol, and definatley not allowed to have a concealed one. Lastly, on your own private land, you can carry a pistol all day long.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

You are not 21 years old so under federal law you may not be in posession of a hand gun with out someone of legal age with you.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:40 PM
bigcountry

No kidding BB? I didn't know that. Thats a bunch of crap. ONly way you can posess a handgun is if you are in the arms services. Oh well.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry but what I said earlier is not correct. I dug through regulations and will correct myself.

Persons 18 years or older may be in posession of a handgun but must be 21 to purchase under normal circumsstances under federal law.

Juveniles may also posess a handgun with out supervision if certain conditions are met. Such as in the course of their employment, while on duty in the armed forces, etc... and must usually have in their posession, at all times while in posession of a hand gun, written permission from their parent or legal guardian.

Again I apologize for any confusion.

Now, as far as Maryland goes I strongly suggest you contact the states powers that be and be absolutely sure you are legal to carry a handgun while hunting. Maryland being the state that it is a strongly doubt that you can open carry unless you are on your own property or on property that you lease.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:00 PM

Hey,

thanks for lookin that up for me, it clears some things up. Any suggestions on a good caliber, maker, size, etc for a first handgun. I am leening towards a 45, 9mm, or something in that range, semiauto. Again, thanks alot