Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Opinions on Weatherby Mark V rifle in .340 >

Opinions on Weatherby Mark V rifle in .340

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions on Weatherby Mark V rifle in .340

Old 01-23-2006, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Opinions on Weatherby Mark V rifle in .340

I'm interested in hearing the opinions of users of the Weatherby Mark V walnut stocked rifle in .340 Weatherby Magnum. Does the stock -- monte carlo cheekpiece with significant drop at heel -- beat the hunter up excessively? How do you like this rifle?
Old 01-23-2006, 03:04 PM

Default RE: Opinions on Weatherby Mark V rifle in .340

These guns are very unpleasant to shoot.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:15 PM

I used to have a Mark V Stainless Synthetic in 340 with a muzzlebreak. With the break it still kicked pretty good, I never shot it without the break. It was very accurate (1" groups) with Weatherby ammo, but guys at the rang used to go running for ear muffs when they already had ear plugs in. Thankfully I never had the chance to touch it off while hunting, it would have rung my bell (ears). I sold it and bought a Sako 75 SSin 300 Wby for the detachable mag and no muzzlebreak. If it didn't have a muzzlebreak I probably would have kept it.

Another moose hunter at our camp has the same rifle without the break and he has had to have his Leupold Vari X III repaired due to the recoil.This guy is over 6 feet tall and is in good shape, it hits him pretty hard, but he loves the gun.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:23 PM

I wouldn't say it is unpleasant, tho if all you have ever fired is a 30/30 or a .270-30/06 or two then you WILL notice a difference when compared too the typical deer caliber. The Monte Carlo stock, besides being racy and having that visual impact that Roy Weatherby wanted, it is a very useful tool. ESPECIALLY when you are talking about the recoil level of most Mark Vs from .300Wby on up. The cheekpiece itself helps better align your face/eye too the scopes line of sight and increases the area of contact between your cheek and the stock. For a comparison try two identical calibers in comparable weights, one with a Monte Carlo stock and one with a standard stock and you'll see what I mean.

I just literally LOVE my Mark V .300Wby and too me the entire line of MarkV wood guns from Wby are THE greatest looking rifles available. Powerwise if there is a better elk/moose/African plains game caliber out there, I've yet to see it! Full power Weatherby loads(or equivalent from that like Norma, Nosler, Connelly etc) with quality bullets and a 26" barrel DO in fact show a slight increase above the typical .338. And no one has doubted the abilities of the .338 have they?

Sure the ammo costs a little more, the rifle is shiny and care must be taken not to damage the rifle while afield, the gorgeous Mark Vs still are something to be admired. Both with the eye and with respect too terminal performance!
RA

Old 01-23-2006, 06:08 PM
DM

I owned and hunted with one for a time. I shot moose with it useing 250 NP's and i forget what else.

I consider the recoil to be on the high side, and the whole gun "over priced". I also never could see where it did anything the 338 Win. mag. couldn't do on big game, useing the same 250 NP's.

That Mark V 340 was the only gun that ever failed me in the field from a design flaw, and i'm glad i wasn't crawling in the alders hunting brown bears when it happened!! In fact that "was" the plan for that very rifle, but we parted company right after i got over the "newness" of owning a Wby....

I did build a second 340 wby. on a Rem. 700 action some time later, but i didn't like the recoil and didn't hunt with it much..

Drilling Man
Old 01-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had one Mark Five and it was a lemon of all lemons. The trigger was awful and it didn't shoot very well either. I sold it quick. Mine was a 300 Weatherby Mag. I don't care how you stack it, the 340 kicks like hell and I have shot some big rifles including owning a 416 Rem Mag and several 338's. I really don't know of anything game wise in North America that would require the use of this cannon. But hey, thats just me. When I quided I had a repeat customer who used the 340 for mule deer. He hated to shoot the darn thing and I didn't blame him. Opinions on the Mark V seem to very greatly.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I owned two mark V rifles and I was not happy with the accuracy of either.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a Weatherby Mark V .340 Wby. Mag. in a Walnut Stocked Sporter. It is an excellent rifle. It shoots .408" three shot group at 100m using a 250 gr Barnes XFB with velocity of 3062 f/s, and energy of5204 ft/lb. The cheek piece does not beat up the hunter. The stock is configured to reduce felt recoil. With the right bullet one can use this rifle to kill any animal in North America. If it was legal to kill dangerous game in Africa, it would fill the bill. I have killed three elk, and a pronghorn with this rifle, and none traveled more than 30 yds. This is one rifle I will neverpart with.

I have three friends who own 5 Weatherby Mark V's between them, and all shoot well under a inch group at100m.Good luck.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is totally a matter of personal preference, but I've never cared for the looks of Weatherby rifles.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:10 PM

ITS ALL AROUND UNPLEASANT TO SHOOT WITHOUT A MUZZLEBREAK BUT....STILL,,,ITS ONE BIG GUN.