HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Opinions on Weatherby Mark V rifle in .340
Old 01-23-2006, 03:23 PM
RedAllison

Default RE: Opinions on Weatherby Mark V rifle in .340

I wouldn't say it is unpleasant, tho if all you have ever fired is a 30/30 or a .270-30/06 or two then you WILL notice a difference when compared too the typical deer caliber. The Monte Carlo stock, besides being racy and having that visual impact that Roy Weatherby wanted, it is a very useful tool. ESPECIALLY when you are talking about the recoil level of most Mark Vs from .300Wby on up. The cheekpiece itself helps better align your face/eye too the scopes line of sight and increases the area of contact between your cheek and the stock. For a comparison try two identical calibers in comparable weights, one with a Monte Carlo stock and one with a standard stock and you'll see what I mean.

I just literally LOVE my Mark V .300Wby and too me the entire line of MarkV wood guns from Wby are THE greatest looking rifles available. Powerwise if there is a better elk/moose/African plains game caliber out there, I've yet to see it! Full power Weatherby loads(or equivalent from that like Norma, Nosler, Connelly etc) with quality bullets and a 26" barrel DO in fact show a slight increase above the typical .338. And no one has doubted the abilities of the .338 have they?

Sure the ammo costs a little more, the rifle is shiny and care must be taken not to damage the rifle while afield, the gorgeous Mark Vs still are something to be admired. Both with the eye and with respect too terminal performance!
RA