Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 My new "carry" toy... >

My new "carry" toy...

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My new "carry" toy...

Old 01-16-2006, 07:56 PM

Default My new "carry" toy...

First lemme say, "Wuz up?" It's good to be back. I had some furniture re-arrangin and holiday business and travel so I just recently got my net fixed after a 1 month absence (I know some of you were hopeful for a longer period of time! ) The holidays were ok, this was our first since loosing my step-father this month lastyear. I found a couple more of his guns during a December stayover at his farmhouse, a 12ga BPS that I used a few times as a teenager and the last rifle he bought, a lefthanded (we were the only lefteyed shooters in the family so I got all his southpaw guns) A-Bolt Medallion 270/VariXIII 3.5X10X50. It has a very unique piece of wood on it and is beautiful and has sat un-touched in his gunsafe in the farmhouse. I nearly bought several pretty 270s lastyear (one of the few calibers I have'nt in my collection ironically) but something kept telling me to wait... now I know why that was!

Anyway, after the "Redlets" and Mrs. Red were taken care of for Christmas I decided to splurge on myself and finally buy a 1911 style 45 that I have been mulling for the last couple of years. I like Kimbers, love Wilson Combat and Les Baer's and have been around the typical Smiths, Colts and Springfields but nothing "pulled my trigger". Not until this one came in at work a couple of weeks ago, needless to say after one look I reboxed it and stuck it on the backshelf, it AINT going too the showroom. This one is going in the small of my back for fulltime carry.

http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=38

I haven't even shot it yet, but plan to soon and will report back how she does. A couple of buddies of mine on the local SWAT team have looked it over and they both commented on how nice the trigger was. It is a DAO and that combined with the colorscheme is why I got it. I didn't want a SAO for carry and my brother has a couple of Para's that he carries around and I know his are great guns and shoot very well. LOL and the fact that I got a closeout price of barely north of $500 from a supplier REALLY had alot to do with why she's goin home with me!!!

Some deals I don't even think twice on,
RA
Old 01-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My new "carry" toy...

I noticed you hadn't posted much lately and had figured something was up.

Nice looking pistol. Good luck at the range.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

I thought you had a heart attack carrying the big 50 to your stand glad to see you back.

Very nice pistol like the 2 tone
Old 01-16-2006, 09:48 PM

Very Nice... 45 ACP.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:47 AM

lol the time I nearly had a heart attack with the 50 was while trying to get that 40# mutha up the tree into the stand!!! [:'(]It was "almost" a great hunt that was captured on film, except for one small problem... the does were'nt to hip too the idea. We got setup and ready and naturally the first 7 deer we saw that morning were bucks. About 9:00 two does FINALLY crossed the field 500yds away. The gun was already aimed their way atop a sandbag that was lying on a HUGE limb (the stand is on a 100+ year old oak tree that is about 8' in diameter) so all I had to do was don plugs and muffs and prepare for the shot. My buddy had his camcorder ready and all was fine. Except the does were trotting across the field. So I hollered at them, whistled, yelled did everything I could to stop them. Normally such things work and they are dispatched quickly. I guess someone told them about an anti-aircraft battery being located downrange of their position so they chose not to chance it! [:@]

Season is over now, but there's always nextyear and that 50 is AWESOME. It is amazing how steady you can get with something that heavy on a rock solid rest. I could've shot 6" diameter pinetrees at 600yds with it, that weight sat like a boulder and was so steady that breathing didn't move it (afterall you aren't actually holding a rifle like that).
RA
Old 01-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

I can't wait till next season to hear how it does. Welcome back.