Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Carry with you?

Old 08-28-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Carry with you?

What do you carry with you out to your treestand? I just received my ASAT 3D camo suit and of course, there are no pockets. I plan to wear some heatgear shorts and shirt under this as it is hot here in FL.

I plan to buy a tan cloth fanny pack and die it dark brown and black to match my camo...we'll see if it works, otherwise I am buying a black one. The only things I plan to carry with me in the pack is:

-wind checker
-release
-therma-cell
-safety-vest tree strap
-drag rope
-knife
-water bottle

Everything else is staying in the truck.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Carry with you?

i carry a small backpack. used to have a 2 liter hydration pack till the hose froze and split now its just a small backpack..

always carry a drink, TP, flagging tape, gutting knive, drag rope, multi tool, lighter, waterproof matches, tree steps to hang stuff on, tie off rope for harness, pull up rope, 2-3 flashlights, digital camera, extra batteries and usually lunch...think thats about all i usually have...lol. i need a bigger pack..but hate to carry a bigger pack and more stuff...i guess bowhunting i could almost leave the dragging rope, flagging tape, gutting knife and camera in the truck...after a half hour wait or so, i get down, find my arrow or point of impact and inspect things..plan on how long i need to wait...gather my gear and stand and head to the truck quietly...keeps me busy and off the track for a while...then i could pick up my AFTER the shot essentials and get to work...also depending on weather i might have a winter hat and gloves in the pack...i rather carry stuff in a pack rather than in my pockets...

Old 08-28-2007, 02:36 PM

Wow, thats a crap load of stuff...good thing I park about .5 mile from my tree. The item I did forget was the knife, drag rope and drink...so I will go back and add that. My pull up rope is in a bag attached to my tree stand.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

lol...youd be surprised...im sure i forgot stuff. i rather have stuff than to not have it. when i hunt from my summit viper alot of it is split between the pack and the pouch i have on the stand...but i will be hunting from a lock on occassionally this season so i gotta carry it all in the pack. regaurdless...i strap my pack down onto my climber and start hiking. ive gone 2+ miles like that. figure i got a good 30lbs on my back. but im also 20 and able to do things like that...not saying old guys cant...but thats somewhat of an advantage i think...

time to go run now actually...waited to the heat of the day to set in...tryin to loose about 10 more pounds ontop of the 25 i lost this summer and get in better shape...make my hikes a little more easy...too young to be out of shape..
Old 08-28-2007, 03:24 PM

On my everning hunts on my land i take very little. The only i take(other than bow and arrows)are my rangefinder, binos,a grunt and a windchecker. Over the years I have bought more and more stuff, but i have learned to carry less and less. During all day hunts during the tail end of the pre rut i take enough stuff for a small army in my backpack. Food, water, rattling anters, a book, the can, hand/foot warmers, TP, a flashlight, knife, digital camera, along with my usualy stuff. I have lots more success when i carry less so i prefer that.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:32 PM

Oh yeah, almost forgot the most important...Starburst Candy ~ for my diabetes...never know.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

forgot the biggest item...my binocs. told ya i forgot something
Old 08-28-2007, 08:21 PM

outside of the essentials like the stand, safety harness, bow holder, hoist rope, bino's, knife, flashlight, a call or two, cell phone(safety only), a walkie if hunting with a bud, deer drag, ...

clip on hat light(great for morning set ups and evening tear downs)
sparebatteries forflashlight/walkie
spare flashlight
spare knife
spare call
rattle bag
gerber do-all tool
trail markers(tracking purposes)
small wood saw/snips
set of small allen wrenches
spare peep tubing
spare gloves
pen/zip tie for tagging
latex gloves for field dressing

in pa it's now legal to carry a pistol while bowhunting if you have a concealed carry licensefor afirearm, or a sportsman's carry permit. hmm.. the .357 may just go along this year. i've had bear come after my downed deer before, and the thought of coyotes, wild dogs, bobcats and whatever eyeing me up in the dark is a little disturbing sometimes when all you have is a bow and a knife. it's a heck of a rush though when you hear something following you down the mountain, lol.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Can
Buck Grunt
Knife
Flash Light
Range Finder
Spare release
Binos

After the kill I will go back to the truck and get the cleaning pack! Gives the deer time to expire!