Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Guns in house fire >

Guns in house fire

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Guns in house fire

Old 01-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Guns in house fire

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Rebel Hog, have you ever seen any of your safes go thru a fire? I have a browning medallion. Wished I would have got a liberty due to the extra fire protection.

BC, in theBRN Medallion'sare made in Slim, Standard and Wide Boy. They have 1500* fire protection rating. I have the Wide Boy. It's hard to beat theMedallion for being a Duo gun safe. Where it gets hard to open a safe after a fire, is some safe's have a fusable link on the cables going to the relockers. That protection is in case someone tries to use a torch to rob you!What keeps papers from burning inside a insulated safe is the condensation that's created inside the safe when the heat outside gets above the 150-200*.I don't keep cameras in the safe, it can ruin a camera.

Edit: I much rather opena Liberty safe than a Browning!
Old 01-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Speaking of safes, which do you like better, the Brownings or the Liberty or Heritage safes? We're looking for one right now...
Old 01-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Power

Speaking of safes, which do you like better, the Brownings or the Liberty or Heritage safes? We're looking for one right now...

Power, when buying a gun safe check the spec's on construction (door thickness, wall and topthickness),resistant to attack (15min, 30min or 60min) TL=Tool, TR=Torch, TX=explosives. Compare rate of fire proofing ( Amount of degrees for 30min, 45min, 1hr), compare locking devices, compare combo locks( My preference is Sargent&Greenleaf three brass tumbler's key change.....that will give you 1 million possible combinations...100X100X100.....Also, if you have your home alarmed, incorparate it into your safe.
Pick three that you like and compare the above! I prefer Diebold and Mosler, but those are precious stone safe's and cost what most guys can't afford! $6000-$9000 and above!I have been doing this since 1976-2006, 30yrs. I don't actuallydo openings anymore, but get a percentage on different safe jobs that the young guys don't know how to do. My phone is always ringing!I still have all the drilling rigs, scopes, tools and manuels.

I own a Browning Medallion Wide Boy!

Edit:Always check the weight and what type of flooring you are going to place it on!

Old 01-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks RH. I have a concrete basement right off my garage so I'm planning on bolting it to the floor when it's installed. I don't have that much value in guns right now (probably less than $3000) so I'm not worried about some big attack, just the common house theif kind of thing. I will probably look for a safe with good fire rating for the day when we move to the country and I like the 72" tall safes they have now, nice with the extra shelves. The Heritage safes we looked at were pretty nice, 3/8" plate door, 75 minutes at 1250 degrees, internal hinges. I'll look for those other features too, don't want to spend more than a couple grand if I can avoid it.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Power

Thanks RH. I have a concrete basement right off my garage so I'm planning on bolting it to the floor when it's installed. I don't have that much value in guns right now (probably less than $3000) so I'm not worried about some big attack, just the common house theif kind of thing. I will probably look for a safe with good fire rating for the day when we move to the country and I like the 72" tall safes they have now, nice with the extra shelves. The Heritage safes we looked at were pretty nice, 3/8" plate door, 75 minutes at 1250 degrees, internal hinges. I'll look for those other features too, don't want to spend more than a couple grand if I can avoid it.

The Browning Medallion's are1500* fire rating and better built thanmost of them!