Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Stainless gun Help!!! >

Stainless gun Help!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Stainless gun Help!!!

Old 12-14-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Stainless gun Help!!!

I have recently been noticing some little grey spots on the top of the barrel of my Winchester m70 Stainless. They are not pits in the guns finish, but are more of a discoloration. I have been told by a knowledgeable gun owner i hunt with that this is nothing to worry about and happens to most stainless rifles over time. I just want to know the best way if any to reduce or prevent the happenings of this, or how to clean the barrel enough to remove the spots. Please let me know the best way to help and best place to store this rifle. Note: i do not own a gun safe so i put the rifle in my closet in a bore-store silicon treated sleeve.

Thank you for the help as i am extremely worried about the health of my precious rifle.

Chris
Old 12-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stainless gun Help!!!

Get some "0000" steel wool and some gun oil. Spray down the outside with the oil and rub with the steel wool. It should go away in a flash.

NOT WD-40!
Old 12-14-2005, 09:12 PM

What oil do you reccomend?

Will solvent do the trick as well?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Any gun oil such as Rem oil, Hoppes, Butches, Break free, etc...
Old 12-15-2005, 03:33 PM

I had a Ruger MK77 mark 2 Stainless steel in 260 caliber and it did the same thing. 000 steel wool and Rem oil will do the trick!
Old 12-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Spike

You have to understand that the "stainless steel" guns are made from 410 or 416 stainless steel. This stainless contains carbon in it for heatreating purposes.With outthe carbon,the stainless steel would beimmune tocorrosion but it would be much too soft for making guns from.Its the carbon that rusts, so even a stainless gun needs to be wiped down before it is put away.

Its a good habit to always wipe down the rifle before you put it up..even if it is "stainless".

Old 12-15-2005, 09:23 PM

I treat this gun like its my baby. I am confused more that anything that this is happening. I always wipe prints and dew off the gun and rub a nice coat on and off of silicon oil after its been in the field. Thank you all for the input.