Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

STAINLESS

Old 07-07-2007, 02:00 AM

Default STAINLESS

If I buy a gun in stainless will it rust, or does stainless not rust? I have never owned a gun in stainless, and was just wondering. Probably going to get an SPS stainless with stainless nikon bckmaster scope.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: STAINLESS

SS rifles will rust. But it is very hard to get it to rust. It takes exposure for extended periods of time. I could be wrong but I do not know of any scopes made of SS. Tom.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only difference between stainless and "blued" steel is that stainless steel has higher chromium content vs carbon steel which has more carbon in the steel. If you don't like the bright look of stainless you can have it bead blasted and then a high quality cured(baked) finish applied. Stainless look of scopes is acchived by leaving surface naked instead of being andonized.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Spike

try a matte-black scope on your stainless rifle. I had a silver scope on my Win70 stainless, but thought it was a little too much "silver". When I upgraded my scope, I changed to the black w/matte finish, and like the look much better.

I own a mix of SS and non-SS guns, and personally tend to like the SS better than blued when given a choice.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:56 AM

what do you mean by extended exposure? Do you mean like outside orout of the gun cabinet in a corner?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Spike

From my experience, you would really have to abuse a SS gun to the point that it would rust... I have never had one rust, and I am not always the best at getting my guns cleaned/oiled in a timely manner.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Spike

No worries about rust. Use and and wipe it down like all your other guns. My cousin and uncle both have SPS rifles in 7mm Mag and .300 Win Mag respectively and they both like them. They have Buckmasters on their as well.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: leeklm

try a matte-black scope on your stainless rifle. I had a silver scope on my Win70 stainless, but thought it was a little too much "silver". When I upgraded my scope, I changed to the black w/matte finish, and like the look much better.

I own a mix of SS and non-SS guns, and personally tend to like the SS better than blued when given a choice.
I agree with this post. I have several stainless guns and use matte black scopes on all of them. I too tried silver scopes and did not like the "look" either.

As far as stainless guns "rusting", it actually seems more of a "discoloration" than actual rust like on a blued gun, but yes, they will "rust". As I said before, I have several stainless guns, and they are about the only ones that ever get used anymore. I love the fact that the are alot more "maintenance free".
Old 07-07-2007, 09:29 PM

Maybe they are just "stainless?" I had a M16 Savage that developed a very small but visible rust spot. I have had my Remington 700 ADL 270 in pouring rains and it has prevailed. I am not sold on them. Tried a silver Nikon on them and won't do it again. No problem with scopes function. I love the Nikon.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:07 PM

ORIGINAL: ConstructionWorker

Maybe they are just "stainless?" I had a M16 Savage that developed a very small but visible rust spot. I have had my Remington 700 ADL 270 in pouring rains and it has prevailed. I am not sold on them. Tried a silver Nikon on them and won't do it again. No problem with scopes function. I love the Nikon.
When did Savage start making the M16?

Quick Reply: STAINLESS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.