Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 22lr question >

22lr question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

22lr question

Old 12-14-2005, 07:03 PM

Default 22lr question

I would like to buy a 22 long rifle. Reason is I like to target shoot and my 17hmr is expensive compared to a 22, 500 rounds for 11.00. Would you buy a semi auto or bolt action and which brand. I was thinking of a marlin, savage or remington. What do you think about those henry brand rifles?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:06 PM

Default RE: 22lr question

well the bolt action is almost always going to be more accurate
Old 12-14-2005, 07:11 PM

if you do go with a semi auto i wouldnt go with a tube or cylinder feed. i would go with a clip/magazine. my marlin 22 with the tube , .22 rounds dont go through it the best. it doesnt always eject them but i can hand those rounds to my brother who has a ruger 10/22 and it shoots them just fine.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:36 PM

My 10/22 will shoot anything I feed it...but I'm not saying its the best gun on the market. Generally bolts are more accurate but I would lean towards sayng that 22 rimfires are the exception to that rule. Again, with subsonics...my 10/22 will but a whole clip in to one ragged hole at 50 yards (completely stock with an aweful trigger and I'll be the first to admit I probably just got lucky with a "shooter") My friends got a "papoose" by marlin...If I've ever seen a gun that looked inaccurate, that's the one...but he'll make as many head shots with his as I can mine. Don't think you'll go wrong witha marlin or a savage...remington has a new model out that is supposedly JUNK. Don't know about henry's and I'm obviously happy with my 10/22 carbine. So take your pick.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:40 PM
XTP

in a semi-auto get the 10/22....plenty of aftermarket add-ons available when you want them.

I would go with the Savage bolt action, I had a Lakefield (same rifle,different name)years ago and my brother-in-law has the Savage. The rimfires keep up the Savage tradition of accuracy and affordability in the same package.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know if you're thinking of using it for hunting or not, but you may wish to consult your State's Game regulations in this regard. Here in PA. you can shoot a .22 auto-loader as much as you wish on the target range, but are not allowed to take it hunting. Just the way it is here. Good luck with whatever you choose, as I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:26 AM

I have a marlin .22 that is a tube/cylinder feed and it has always shot just fine. I had a problem when I first got it a few years ago. It would always jam up, I took it completly apart and cleaned it. It has been working great ever sence and thats been about 10 years ago. I do take it completly apart every year as I do all my guns and clean it. Works like a champ!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:36 AM

I have had the papoose and I liked it but had problems with the clip staying in. My old tube feed marlins work great as long as I clean them about every 2 years (yeah I know I will get some flack). The only issue I have had with the marlins is jamming up when shooting extremely fast. The spent casing can not clear the ejector fast enough before it tries to feed another round.

The best 22lr I have is an old single shot bolt action. My grandfather bought it brand new back in 1947. Extremely accurate rifle.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll speak up for the Henry 22lr rifles.
This is a very good rifle, as they say,
"for the money". Well made, accurate
and it is hard to beat a lever action for
just plain fun shooting. You'll want to
handle as many different rifles as you
can before spending your $$, don't pass
up the Henry.

God bless & good shooting,
PK
Old 12-15-2005, 03:32 PM

remington 597 or a marlin bolt with a clip

Quick Reply: 22lr question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.