Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG) >

Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)

Old 12-19-2005, 01:02 PM

Default RE: Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)

You might of started something here Red.I am now wondering about building a cannon and use a bowling ball for the projectile.It would have to have an electronic trigger device and usesome com'ere deer to get them in the right alignment with the barrel.2 to 5yrds away,now that would make for a really fun demented ,How to make deer fly video.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great stuff for young hunters to read.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw something on TV one time where guys built their own cannons and shot bowling balls out of them. One guy used his cannon to knock down a brick grain silo. Took him about 15 shots on one side to weaken it enough to bring it down. Also went thru several balls.

It was pretty interesting.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Well I don't know about shooting a deer with a cannon with bowling balls But the .50 is perfectly humane I think at least nobodys bragging how many times theve shot deer with a .22lr or a pellet gun etc. OVERKILL IS BETTER THAN UNDERKILL
[hr]

Old 02-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, its been over two months.....how did the hunt make out?
Are there any pics? You can't keep us in suspense forever, some of us have bedtimes you know.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:23 PM

I wonder if hunters were able to kill deer back in 1859 before henry came out with their repeaters. Or Im absolutley suprised that that you could even hunt deerin 1894, seeing that the 30-30 was too weak. (And thats why .300 win mags have to be used now in their stead in 2006)I guess what im trying to say is... at whatextreme do hunters need to go to to kill whitetail deer? Sure the 50 cal bmg. will killdeer, and it might even be interesting for someone to see what it would do.

I like what james b said..."great stuff for young hunters to read" About 9 years ago I went into dick's sporting goods thinking that I needed a 30-06 to kill deer. It wasn't till I got home that everyone was telling me that the 300 win mag would have been a better choice because it would be more effective than my 30-06. I actually believed them and thaught I was undergunned. It wasn't untill I started researching for myself thatI foundthat there was a time when men worewool, red and black ,checkered hunting outfits and funky hats with a cock feather sticking out of it. And It was also an even bigger suprise to find that these men used calibers like .243, .250 savage,.300 savage and 6mm to harvest whitetails and did it effectively for decades. If the calibers worked then why wouldn't they now?

I also found that JACK CONNORS hunted grizzly bear with a cartidge thatVERY FEWwould even attempt to go out and hunt grizzlies with anymore. (30-06)

And also TEDDY ROOSEVELT harvested just about everything on this planet with his winchester 1895 in .405 win., another cartidge that hunters today would think foolish to bring on a cape buffalo hunt.

Its fine if you want to use the bmg...blast away at them....maybe someday I will hunt with one....I dont know when or for what, but maybe.

GOOD HUNTING, I TRUST YOUR JUDGEMENT
Old 02-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot a .50 cal BMG.... My brother-in-law has one. Last year at Christmas holiday, I went out on his farm way up in back and we took turns shooting that evil, mother of a gun! [&:]

To those who have never shot the 50BMG.... It weights a bloody ton compared to what you would think for a firearm. If a 12GA shotgun weight in at around 8 lbs fully loaded, the 50BMG weighs in at over 40 pounds.

Here is a photo of me shooting my brother-in-law's 50BMG (we balanced it on the side of his pickup truck bed). I am shooting itlefty and looking through the scope.Noticethe braced stance thatI have with this bad beast!!!

The kick from the 50BMG isn't too bad. It's like shooting a shotgun with a slug. But the nano-second percussion blast afterwards is what gets you. You feel a big WHUMP in you heart up into your brain as soon as you press the trigger. It's not a rifle by any means. It is an artilliary round!!!

Old 02-26-2006, 08:35 PM

I want one of those...4 years 'till I could legally...