Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG) >

Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)

Old 12-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)

I always thought BMG stood for "Big Mother*** Gun." [8D]
Old 12-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

MAKE SURE TO TAKE A TRASHBAG TO CARRY THE DEER HOME IN!! lol but I've seen a possum shot with a .500 S&W and there honestly wasnt enough critter left to skin. I'll have to see if I can round up the pics of it but have fun. oohh yea you might consider some ear plugs.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure to tie yourself up real good in the stand so that thing doesn't knock you right out when you light it up

Old 12-16-2005, 06:20 PM

Salty how is it childish? We are laughing yes, but it's all in good fun. Like James said, "Dead is dead" and in the end does it matter if I killed does with a 50cal or a 22/250? Sure the thought of it is kinda funny while being a lil intimidating at the same time, but what the heck? Most folks would LOVE to have a buddy just walk in and plunk down his 50 cal and tell you to basically, "Have at it"! I will probably only shoot one doe with it mainly because it is just not going to be that terribly easy to manuever thisthing around in the field. I plan on shootingup the rest of the ammo I havewith a couple of buddies during the middle of the day for "fartsNgiggles".

If I were out to disrespect the animalI would be using incindiary rounds to setthem afireor armor piercing and waiting until they were behind a tree and shooting through it to get too them (which HAS been done on big game with 50s in the past! There was a film at the Shot Show several years ago which featured just such.) but I am not going to do that, I am simply going to be shooting them at reasonable distances (less than 600yds) with a simple 650grn FMJ and will still put the bullet right behind the shoulder. I am hunting on a large, multi-thousand acre tract of land so the danger of hitting something 2k yds away is not a worry. If it were I certainly wouldn't be doing it. I just would like to honestly be able to tell my customers who ask, "What does a 50BMG do too a whitetail?" Hell I been curious of that myself for a long time.

Some folks mainsprings are just wound a lil tight I reckon!
RA
Old 12-16-2005, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

red just curious can you use fmj's on game animals where you'll be hunting? i know some states don't allow the use of them.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:36 PM

Funny you should ask that HKY, legally NO you cannot use FMJs in TN. And I wouldn't even try using them on something smaller than about a 270. But in this case the only ammo available quickly too me was either the FMJs, Incidiary, Armor Piercing and Tracers. For deer they probably won't do any differentthan the FMJs but the dealer who carries this kind of stuff in my town also had APs loose for $1.55 a round. The FMJs were packed from the factory (in Bosnia of all places!) in 20 round boxes and were $30 a box so I got two of them and put them in a ammocan I have so you could say it was 6 one or half dozen the other.

Actually there will be another gun in the stand with us. My buddy who will be filming will also have his Savage/Lazzeroni Patriot nearby. So if you were to "ask" us while in the tree, the Lazz is for deer and the 50 is for those pesky yotes!!!
RA
Old 12-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

shooting deer with a 50 BMG is not funny, this however is http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm Red be sure and take pics!
RR
how do you find shooting a deer with a cannon funny but using a 50 cal not funny????? i'm confused. it would seem to me using a cannon is a whole lot more dangerous and more likely to be illegal than using a 50. at least you can control where your one 650 grain bullet rather than having not too much control over you i don't know how many 12 gauge slug equivalent balls.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:27 AM

If it makes you feel like more of a man to shoot a 50 at a deer than have at it.. post pics.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:54 AM

I think he was joking about the howitzer thing....too bad that site wouldn't load, I wanted to see it.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

The cannon thing was funny. Salty I see your point but I think in the end the result is the same. Dead deer. I can't wait to see a pic.

I was in the gun shop on Friday and I was talking to the guy about what you are going to do. He was telling me that years ago they used to shoot at deerwith a truck bed mounted military cannon. I can't remember what caliber he said they used but he was telling me that the cartridges were $14 a pop.

Tom

Quick Reply: Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.