Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 please explain >

please explain

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

please explain

Old 12-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default please explain

can someone please explain to me why a bolt action rifle is more accurate than all others? i've heard it all my life and honestly i don't believe it! my remington 760/ 6mm, is the most accurate rifle i've ever shot.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:41 PM

Default RE: please explain

Several factors come into play. First is lock up. Boltguns generally lock up much tighter than other actions. Second is lock time. The less time between the sear breaking and primer ignition, the better. An example of a slow lock time can be found in a Winchester Model 94 lever action or a Ruger #1, both of which use hammers to strike a firing pin. Third would be the ability to glass bed the action and free float the barrel. Having nothing touching the barrel generally (not always) results in better accuracy. Glass bedding simply ensures no action movement within the stock.

The statement that bolt actions are the most accurate action is not an absolute. I have a Ruger #1 that is simply amazingly accurate. Also, consider that most people really dont care to shoot any better than 1-1.5 MOA. Hey, if you can hit a 4 inch circle, you can kill a deer. Some of us, however, are somewhat anal about accuracy (myself included). If one was to line up 10 of every kind of action available, bolt actions would probably win the accuracy test.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

can someone please explain to me why a bolt action rifle is more accurate than all others?
It's not always the case. Two other rifles come to mind right away. The Savage 99s tend to have very good accuracy potential, and as you stated so do the Remington 760/7600 series. The 99 is a lever and the 760/7600 series is a pump. Go figure.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

While on average the bolt action rifle because of its lockup and trigger lock time are usually more accurate. However some rifles of other types can be just as accurate. I must agree with you that the 760/7600 Remingtond pumps are very accurate. I have had four of them and one that I had in 270 was the most accurate rifle that I ever owned and I have owned a ton of rifles. Another was an over/under Savage 30-30 over 12 Ga. that would shoot sub one inch groups at 200 yards. As would the 270 760 Remington.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

A stronger lockup and a faster lock time are certainly factors as is bedding.Most bolt actions also have better triggers that can be adjusted,which makes it easier for the shooter to be more consistant.It is also easier to make small changes such as lapping the lugsto improve accuracy even morewith mostbolt actions.If youdesire to build a very accurate customrifle,it is easier to do with a bolt action,because there is a far better selection of products such as triggers,firing pin assemblies and stocks,and it is usuallysimpler to install a custom barrel on a bolt action than on most other actions.All bolt actions are not more accurate than all non-bolt actions,but on average,the bolt actions do hold an accuracy advantage.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:07 PM

Don't always say always

I agree that bolts are considered the most accurate. However there are other guns that can be made very accurate just as easy if not easier if you shop at the right places. Here's a good article about one guy building a super accurate Encore.....

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek055.html
Old 12-08-2005, 07:55 AM

ARs are a semi-auto that has a fabulous lockup. The rotating bolt provides a very solid lockup. Add to that the ability to easily free float an AR's barrel and you have a recipe for a very accurate rifle. Of course it helps that most ARs are in a caliber that is really easy to get superb results from. I think acomplete novicecould reload good ammunition for a .223.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dkhamner

can someone please explain to me why a bolt action rifle is more accurate than all others? i've heard it all my life and honestly i don't believe it! my remington 760/ 6mm, is the most accurate rifle i've ever shot.
Bolt-action rifles are NOT always more accurate than any other kind!! BUT, it is usually EASIER to make a bolt action shoot well than others. This is mainly becasue they have a one-piece stock and lock up very close to the head of the cartridge case, instead of having a 2-piece stock setup and a springy action like the Win. lever guns.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:16 PM

is everyone forgetting single shot riffles they are rated the most accurate

in theory
#1 single
#2 bolt
#3 lever
#4 pump
#5 auto
for accuracy
not saying some pumps arnt better than some bolts ect.