Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 long term rust stopper >

long term rust stopper

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

long term rust stopper

Old 12-02-2005, 05:59 AM

Default long term rust stopper

I am going to be taking my blued sako out it's wood stock and into a mcmillian. While I have the barrel and action out what product is best to put on them for long term protection from rust?
Old 12-02-2005, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: long term rust stopper

I have had really good luck with Breakfree CLP for long term protection. For my guns that I left at home when I moved to alaska I used breakfree collector. Its thier long term storage protectant, no rust and only touched them up twice in 4 years. Its a lot thicker than normal breakfre. It was recomended to me by a gunsmith who used it for when he shipped rifles out for internet sales.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:41 AM

I have had great success with good ole' Vasaline Petro jelly. Even had my gun safe to take some storm water up through the bottom bolt hales un-noticed for several days. Had some mold on some of the stocks, but no rust on the vasalined guns. Just put it on heavy and wipe off the excess. It is also odorless for deer rifles!
Old 12-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

i heard one hunter this year saying he sent his rifle off to have it teflon coated. i forget what company he said he used but he said it took about 6 months to get his rifle back. he said he did this a couple years ago and he has not oiled it since he got it back. he just wipes off the excess water and puts it up. according to him the place he sent it also breaks it completely down and teflon coated the entire inside (all parts big and small). i wish i could remember who he said done it.