Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 We speak of long range in here so..... >

We speak of long range in here so.....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

We speak of long range in here so.....

Old 12-03-2005, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: We speak of long range in here so.....

I guess I'm below average because I couldn't hit a barn at 300yrds. Lucky for me where I hunt its all thickguts and ridges, if a deer ismore than 50yrds out I'd never even know he was there.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

no you are not below average you know you're limits and that is great and you know what you can hit and what you cant happy hunting. Tschaef I was trained for years by uncle sam to hit what I shoot at it take a long time and a lot of practice to hit and kill at 1000 yards. I have seen 1 shot kills at 1800 yards with a 50 bmg but thats is want the guy was trained to do the guy that did that was a jar head sniper. thanks uncle sam
Old 12-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Spike

I regularly shoot my .50 BMG and .300 Mag at 600 and 1000 yards using a 9" steel gong at 600 and a 12 at 1000.

With that being said, MOST people have no idea how much a bullet can drop. Even at 300 yards. At 600 yards with just a little breeze, its enough to drift your shot right off of the target.

The great thing about a Mildot scope is the ability to range targets and the ability to use each dot as a aim point at various ranges.

Even so...it takes lots of practice. The deer hunter that shoots just a shot or two before the season to verify his zero wont be able to hit a deer much past 300 yards.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

hotguns, got to agree, and if you shoot more than 3 in hopes of hitting a 300 yard target better shoot at that distance or beyond. As I said i havent had the open range to shoot 300 or more, so i wont even if i had a clear, no wind shot, aint in me! I do love to go the the range and shoot 20 or 30 or more bullets at 100 yards, so i in confident in the gun and range when the deer appears!
Old 12-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Much past 150 is more like it yet. When I was shooting steel silhouettes every week I got so hitting things out to that 500 meter ram was not real difficult but with a year of getting out of the game, my shooting skills at that range went down hill quickly. Most hunters just don't put in the time it takes to stay sharp. I spend a lot of time at the range helpling out the old guy like me that takes care of it and its amazing every season the hunters show up a week or two before season and you quessed it, most have not pulled the trigger since last season. They don't know what brand of shells they used last year or what grain they were or anything except that they bought what Wally World had on sale yesterday. They take the gun out and half of them take ten shots to get on the paper again.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes, i hate that, i try to get out as much as i can. And most of the time is with bow, but a bout 3 months before the season i start using up boxes of ammo to make sure I hit the target. 10 here, 10 there, and they are the same brand, same bullet, and same grain!
Old 12-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

That makes goos sense. Even with my bad shoulder I shoot quite a bit. Even shooting a rimfire is good for breathing control and trigger squeez. And its fun.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do manage to make it down to the range and watch people try to dial in new guns an scopes the week before gun season comes in here. I reallized I take a lot of things for granted after watching them "attempt" to get their stuff right.Some are grateful for help and some already know it all..lol. Invariably someone always asks me if I am gonna shoot any. The just kinda give me funny looks when i told them I shoot almost every week..lol.

Going to the range the week before the season is always good entertainment and sometimes you can actually help someone. If I were a deer I'd feel safe at 50 yards with a lot of these guys..lol.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

too funny, have to run down there some time. You know it was the same at turkey season last spring, I had been out almost every week for several months prior, boxes of shells, different shells. Decide one last shot before the season, shoot couldnt get in the range for all the cars the day before! Silly me!
Old 12-04-2005, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper
If I were a deer I'd feel safe at 50 yards with a lot of these guys..lol.
its funny you say that......I told my father on the radio that day when all the shooting was going on that I would feel better dressed as a deer rather than a hunter.......better chance to make it with all those bullets flying around.

Quick Reply: We speak of long range in here so.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.