Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Broke my scope!!!  (%*^&#$!!!!!!) >

Broke my scope!!! (%*^&#$!!!!!!)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Broke my scope!!! (%*^&#$!!!!!!)

Old 11-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Broke my scope!!! (%*^&#$!!!!!!)

Oh man....The old Glenfield 4x32 scope on my Marlin 30-30 lost its "zero" and won't hold true anymore. I guess it stems from huntingup in the mountains this past week and storing the rifle at the camp near the fireplace, then going outside at 18 degrees in the early morning and going hunting. I don't know.... maybe that had an affect...

Anyway, please look over the photo below of my target set at 50 yards. The numbers next to the bullet holes are the sequence of shots, along with my thoughts on the shot. The numbers in yellow are later on, after I asked advice at the range from another guy and suggested I pull the scope and use the open sights at 50 yards to see if it's the gun, the scope, or me. So, the numbers in yellow are the plain jane Marlin 30-30 at the bench rest with stock open sights.

1: Holy **** what happend to my scope?
2: There... 16 or so clicks up and a few clicks over. A touch high but not bad...
3: Holy **** now what happend? Why is the shot down there?
4: Way up high after adjusting the elevation again.
5: Not again!! WTF is going on?!?!! [:'(]
6, 7, 8: rapid fire shots with no adjustment to scope. I gave up! [:@]
***Pulled scope and base off right there at the table upon advice from another guy***
9, 10, 11, 12: Open sighted shots at 50 yards with stock sights at bench rest.

Question: Seeing this whole scenario, and the open sights shot pattern, would you buy a new scope for the 30-30, or just leave it open for short range deep woods shots?
Anyway, here is my beloved Marlin 30AS without a scope. I kind of like it like this... It's light, quick, real easy to carry, and now has a classic look.

So honestly... What would you do? Buy a new scope, or leave the 30-30 as is with open sights? I know I'm no "dead-eye Dick" or anything, but I was impressed with the shots at 50 yards with the stock open sights!

Butch A.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broke my scope!!! (%*^&#$!!!!!!)

awww leave it open sights..............

I took the libery of showing you what I saw when looking at your groups!!

ITS THE BIG DIPPER!!!!!!!

Old 11-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

awww leave it open sights..............

I took the libery of showing you what I saw when looking at your groups!!

ITS THE BIG DIPPER!!!!!!!
Very funny Mossy... Very funny...

I had a great time hunting out in mountains of VA this past week. The bucks out there are MONSTERS! I jumped a few and couldn't get the shot off - good thing with my scope being messed up! [&:] The woods are heavy and thick with huge ridges and hollows. It's perfect terrain for my 30-30. Anyway, I will leave it as is with open sights and go with that. Hopefully when next season rolls around, I'll have a nice Winchester Model 70 bolt action in a .270 and will use that for the long range scoped shots.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ButchA

Anyway, I will leave it as is with open sights and go with that. Hopefully when next season rolls around, I'll have a nice Winchester Model 70 bolt action in a .270 and will use that for the long range scoped shots.
are you getting a lefty bolt?
Old 11-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

ORIGINAL: ButchA

Anyway, I will leave it as is with open sights and go with that. Hopefully when next season rolls around, I'll have a nice Winchester Model 70 bolt action in a .270 and will use that for the long range scoped shots.
are you getting a lefty bolt?
Yup.... It's gotta be lefty... I wouldn't want to get smacked in the mouth from the bolt handle of a righty rifle! [:-]

Old 11-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

not trying to sway your decision, but have you seen the Savage Lefthands they have? they have that weather warrior series (stainless barrel) in lefthand that has quite a selection of calibers......270, 06, 7rem, 300 win and 338!! I really like the look of them, and think that will be my next LH bolt. go on Savages web site and just give em a look, they are some accurate shootin rifles.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:11 PM

i would leave that gun with just the sights... more of a bush gun
Old 11-26-2005, 08:06 AM

My latest addition to the safe is a Marlin 336 in 30-30 with a williams receiver peep on it.l. its one quick handling, sweet rifle!!!!!
Old 11-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys.... I like it without a scope. I carried it around late yesterday afternoon, while hunting, and it was the most lightest, most quickest, snappiest, rifle without a scope on it.

Here is what it looked like before when I had the old Glenfield 4x32 on it:

Old 11-26-2005, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Out to 100 yards, I would go with the open sights.

Quick Reply: Broke my scope!!! (%*^&#$!!!!!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.