Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Good lube for cold weather??? >

Good lube for cold weather???

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good lube for cold weather???

Old 11-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Good lube for cold weather???

I need a good lube for my shotgun when hunting in cold weather. Last year I lubed it with remington's oil/W teflon and it still jammed on me, same thing happen this year too. I hunt in the fall too and nothing happen but when it's cold it always jam.I was just wondering what aresomegood lubes out there that you has usedandbeen working good for you???
Old 11-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Good lube for cold weather???

Pepperment Snops. Oh!!you mean for the gun. I don't know if the experts recommend it but I use just a touch of Marvels Mystery Oil. Its worked well for me. Many use Breakfree as well. I use that on my Auto pistols.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:46 AM

First completely clean the action than wipe off all cleaning solvents & oil.
Lubricate with spray graphite.
This works well at below freezing temps. where oils thicken up to the point of causing problems.

*Edit for spelling only thanks to the posts below.*
Old 11-25-2005, 03:53 AM

Don't know how expensive it really is, but if you live in a farming area ask a farmer if he has any graphite left over from planting season. Alot/most planters now use talc or graphite as an actual seed lubricant and they go through the stuff by the boxes!!! Give 'em a couple bucks for a 1# canister of it and you'll be set for life...not to mention you find all sorts of uses for dry lubricant around the house.

I guess you could halve pencils and grind them up too...if you're board
Old 11-25-2005, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my current job this was one of my assignments. I had to find a lubricant that could handle the severe temp of our chilling units (-20c). So after about a week of research I found a lubricant that is made by Loc tite. It is an synthetic material, as opposed to a Lanolin (sheep skin) based product. It is called Superlube, and can withstand temps to -30c. Im sure a quick search on the Internet will provide you with a suplier. PM if you need an more info.

p.s. something you may find interesting, after researching all this, I found that most lubricants break down at temps between 0F and 15F. I thought that was interesting because many places in America you can hunt in weather below +15F.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dry all moving parts totally after cleaning all dirt, goo & gunk out of the gun. Then lube it with dry, powdered graphite or MOS2 powder (Dri-Slide, etc.).
Old 11-25-2005, 11:51 PM

When I shot a Remington 1100, I would clean thoroughly and leave dry. I imagine dry graphite lube would also work. But at the time (1970s) I couldn't use any lube in my 1100 in the winter because of jamming. I got tired of it and traded it for an 870 which I like a lot better and have had for about 30 years now.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Clean all of the gunk, dirt, and oil out of the gun and dry it all off. Then leave it alone. Unless you are using a long recoiling shotgun such as the Browning A-5 you do not need to lube anything. Regardless of the temperature.