Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun shows?

Old 11-14-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Gun shows?

I haven't been to a gun show since I went with my dad and uncle probably over 15 years ago.
I was just wondering if it would be a good place to look for a youth 20ga? As some of you know I'm looking for one for my wife.
Do you see many of these types of guns there? new or used? I'm sure it varies from show to show also.
Thanks again
TH

Old 11-14-2005, 10:39 PM

Default RE: Gun shows?

I went to my first gun show a couple of months ago. It was excellent - a wide variety of used and vintage firearms, parts, etc.. I had heard that gun shows are becoming more and more just places to sell trinkets, jerky and ultra-right wing manifestos, but the one I went to was far and away mostly gun stuff.

I do strongly believe you need to know what you're looking for and what it's worth. I was looking specifically for a Marlin 336 30-30 lever and found one. I knew what they were selling for locally and therefore knew what a decent price was. I didn't "steal" it, but feel that it was a fair price for an excellent, little used gun. I saw what looked like quite a bit of junk as well.

Just be careful, do your homework, make an offer and be willing to walk away.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

i see you are from michigan... i visit the gunshows now and again, i went to the hillsdale show this past weekend actually... IMO, if you want a NEW gun.. go to a reputable shop and buy it.. you aren't going to find any "deals"... if you are looking for a used gun.. you may find one... but honestly pickins are pretty slim... and i feel people are asking way more for them than they are worth.. on a few occassions i saw obviously used rifles with new rifle prices on them...

still something to do on a weekend and you get to see what is out there...

i have never been to the cadillac show or the show in brighton, they may draw a few different folk but for the most part the same people with the same stuff are at every show...
Old 11-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

As has previously been mentioned, you have to know what you are looking at, and what it's actual worth is. You can find lots of different offerings, but it's the same old story---- talk to the seller, see what he will offer in way of guarantee, if any, and try a little price negotiation. It usually ends up "Buyer Beware". Regardless, gun shows can be very interesting and entertaining. I don't miss many in my area.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:56 AM

I do strongly believe you need to know what you're looking for and what it's worth.
Thats the rule of thumb around here. Last one I went to, there was hardly any guns at all. I was disappointed. But I did find a pellet pistol for $20. Couldnt argue with that. Great for plinking out the bedroom window. Mostly just crap though, t-shirts, tasers, toys, TONS of airsoft. It was lame.