Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
How to Lead with a shotgun >

How to Lead with a shotgun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How to Lead with a shotgun

Old 10-07-2002, 08:56 AM

Default How to Lead with a shotgun

I was wondering about wingshooting lead. If you are swinging on a bird do you shoot when your gun in pointed at the bird since you are swinging with it will the pellets follow your swing or do you have to shoot in front of the bird though you are swinging with it.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:04 PM

Default RE: How to Lead with a shotgun

You have to shoot in front of the bird. You you aim right at the bird you will miss. And always remember to follow through.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

Two ways to do it: First, "sustained lead", where you actually swing with the bird at its pace (slightly ahead of it) and pull the trigger when you fell comfortable that you've indeed matched the bird's speed; or, "pass through lead" (which I prefer) where you actually swing faster than the bird and pull the trigger when you see an appropriate amount of open space between your barrels and the front of the target. I like this better because I feel I can get off the shot a little quicker, but it takes more practice than the sustained method. Either way, it is imperative that you follow through with the swing after having pulled the trigger.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 10-07-2002, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer to swing through. Swing the gun through the target much faster than the target is moving and pull the trigger as your gun barrel passes the target. Usually the delay between when your brain tells you to shoot and your finger actullay pulls the trigger will give you enough lead. For faster targets or more distant targets you need to increase the lead. The only way to learn is to practice, this will train your mind to automatically determine the lead and swing speed. The most important thing to remember is always swing through and past the target and follow through, or you will shoot behind the target nearly every time.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 10-08-2002, 04:48 AM

I see who the shotgunners on this board are. Take these guys' advice bwortman and remember, keep your head on the stock, and dont stop the gun.

Old 10-08-2002, 11:57 AM

Another vote for the swing through method. The sustained lead is more suseptable to the stop and pull the trigger result in shooting behind the target than the swing through.

Join a sporting clays league and you'll be surprised how your shooting will improve after just one season.

Old 10-08-2002, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Swing thru the bird and as soon as there is daylight squeeze off without slowing down or stopping. Go to a skeet range and after a couple of boxes you'll be a master at this.