Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7MM Rem Mag

Old 10-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 7MM Rem Mag

Hey guys,

I would like to know a little bit about the 7MM Rem Mag. What game is it recommended for? How available is the ammo? Are there any known issues with this cartridge?

I am trying to figure out my next caliber. So far on my list is the .30-06, 300WM and .338 Win Mag. I have shot the .30-06 in a few different rifles and I have shot the .300 once. I have found that the recoil from these two cartridges to be mild. Would anyone be able to give me a comparison to the .338 which I have never shot?

Should the 7MM Rem Mag be considered in this group of cartridge choices?

Thanks
Tom

P.S. I am leaning heavily towards a Ruger Mark II Sporter.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7MM Rem Mag

I've owned more 7mm Rem Mags than any other rifle. It's a fine cartridge as are the others you mentioned. It's good for most any big gamein North America, though I'dwant something bigger for Grizzlies. Ammo should be readily available for this cartridge since it's very popular. For whitetail deer and such, a bullet in the 140 to 160 grain range should work fine. For larger animals like elk and moose I'd go with a bullet of at least 160 gr. and a premium one at that.

Between the 7mm mag and .30-06 it's almost a toss up. I don't believe either one has any significant advantage (the key word being "significant")over the other and I've used both. The .300 WM is a slight step up in performance, but at the expense of some more recoil. The .338 WM is a cartridge I have no experience with, so I'll leave the discussion of it up to someone else.

The bottom line is that in most big gamehunting situations you'll encounter in North America (except for maybe the biggest bears), the 7mm mag is a perfectly fine cartridge. Just make sure you're using a bullet that's correct for the game you're hunting and you'll be fine.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have taken game from pronghorns to deer to elk to moose with the various 7mm's and they do a fine job.I prefer to use one load per gun so if elk and moose are on the agenda,I would try the 140gr tsx.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted with my 7 mm Rem. Mag. for years and it has never let me down. It’s a fine cartridge with lots of power. Good luck in your choice.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the 7mm rem magto harvest antelope, wt/mule deer, elk and moose with no problems. Like mentioned I'd feel comfortable tackling anything but the big bears withmy 7mm rem mag. Recoil is not bad and ammo selection/cost is very good for anything upto moose sized game for NA. With todays choices in bullets one can really make a cartridge serve multiple purposes if desired. I took a bull elk and bull moose this fall using 140 gr TSX and the performance I received was outstanding. 2-1-shot kills with a grand total ofless than75 yards covered by both animals after the shot, great penetration/tissue damageand hardly any meat damage thanks to the construction of the Barnes bullet.

I previously owned both a 300 wm and wby, I see really no practical difference between these and my 7 mag for what I hunt currently. I also owned a 3006 and while it also proved to be a good cart. the 7mm does just enough different for me to prefer it over the 06'. The only one you mention that I really like is the 338wm but only for the bigger game. I have never owned one but have shot them. Right now I don't have the tolerance due to shoulder operations to allow me to handle a full fair weather day at the range, otherwise I would have one myself. But if your looking for a rifle that will be for the sole purpose of hunting elk, moose and possibly the big bears the 338wm is a great option to have in your cabinet. I really don't consider it a all arounder though, a little large for deer or antelope.

If your looking for an all arounder, one rifle doesmost the 06', 300wm or 7mm rem mag will work well, really splitting hairs. Either could be used in a pinch for a grizzly hunt, the 300wm would be the better of the 3 in this scenerio but still not ideal IMHO. However if you have a smaller game rifle that you enjoy/like/feel confident in for your deer sized huntsbut really want a bigger game rifle, take the plunge up to the 338wm. Not a speed demon but packs a great punch. The recoil is higher than a 300wm, but seeing you don't find it excessive I think you'll have no troubles handling the 338wm.

Best of luck
Old 10-28-2005, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info guys!

Tom
Old 10-28-2005, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used the .338 win for a long time with great results for moose mainly but also took deer and bears with it. I have now sold that rifle and now use a 7mm rem mag and quite frankly don't miss the bigger one a bit. I also have used it on game from pronghorn to moose and everything drops as fast as a .338 shot does. If you are hunting areas that could offer a long shot then the big 7 has a slight advantage over an 06. If your shots never go past 300 yds then flip a coin they all shoot flat enough.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Solitary Man has pretty much said it all. IMO, a properly-aimed 7mm Rem. Mag. will do anything a .300 Win. Mag will do, with a little less recoil. Of the cartridges you mentioned, the only time I would opt for the .338 instead of the 7 Mag. is if I were certain to encounter Alaskan coastal or Kodiak Island brown bear or polar bear where they are legal game.

In addition to N. A. game, the 7 Mag. is adequate for all non-dangerous African plainsgame and everything in Europe.

The .338 has noticeably more recoil that the others mentioned. However, sinceyou consider a .300 Magnum to have "light" recoil, you will not be bothered by the .338.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, I owned a Ruger Mark II in 30-06 and now a Browning A-Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag. The 30-06 kicked more in my opinion than my 7mm. My dad took my 7mm elk hunting last fall and on the trip that rifle harvested 2 bulls with 1 shot each. I loaded up the then new Nosler 160gr AccuBonds for him at max load (can't remember the details off the top of my head). I also loaded the 160gr Triple Shock Barnes, and both shot equally well at 100 yards-350yards, he end up liking the Noslers better, so thats what he shot on his hunt.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Savage 110E in 7mm Rem. Mag. and I love it. It is a kicker and after 20 rounds it's usually time to call it a day at the range. Heavy clothing will help, but the thing puts out a sharp kick with my 150 gr. reloads. You cannot go wrong with the 7mm Mag. unless you want to shoot bullets heavier than 175 gr. for the biggest game in North America. For bullet weight selection nothing beats the versatility of the .30-06.

Just for the hell of it, I do plan on getting a .30-06 one of these days, but only because I want to not because I have to. The 7mm Rem. Mag. is adequate for anything I'll ever be hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.