Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7MM Rem Mag

Old 11-01-2005, 03:56 PM

Default RE: 7MM Rem Mag

Just thought I'd mention that I am planning on getting a 7mm (probably a another savage but maybe a win model 70 lightweight) I am kind of stoggy and conservative with a heavey bent toward nostalgia. So I ahve been a fan of the venerable 30 06 for 10 years. But I just started elk hunting and most of hte guides I met carry a rifle chambered in 7 rem mag. These guides said that for the average hunter who takes deer, hogs, pronghorn, muleys and an occasional elk, the 30 06 is the best all arounder. But if you plan to become an avid elk hunter, the 7 rem mag and .300 win mag can't be beat. I guess one of each will not go amiss.
Good luck to you
okcmco
Old 11-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

These guides said that for the average hunter who takes deer, hogs, pronghorn, muleys and an occasional elk, the 30 06 is the best all arounder.
Actually for use on deer,hogs,pronghorn,muleys, elk,and evenmoosethe 7mmremmag will do anything that the 30-06 will do.It will kill any of these species just as dead at any range that the 30-06 will.And if you use controlled expansion bullets the smaller diamer 7mm bullets will not do any more meat damage than the 30-06.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

The 06, 7mm Rem, and 300 WM all fill nearly the same nitch. The 300 WM is alot of recoil for most but you said it was mild. That being the case why not pick the win mag. Between the 7mm and 300 the ammo cost approx the same and the 300 can shoot as flat or flatter with more KE at all ranges. My choice was the 06. Typically lighter rifles, lighter recoil, cheaper ammo and still effictive to beyond 350 yds even on elk. That is further than most hunters have any business shooting.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:44 PM

You can't go wrong with any of the three options. It will come down to personal preference. As far as far as the aught six shooting flatter and with more energy at all distances than the BIG 7 I don't think so. No offence Gags but I read the article on the high energy 06, I posted the link to it. I need more than one source, or even better see it with my own eyes to believe those numbers. Believe 10# of what you read and 50% what you see. Not a single animal out there will know the difference between the aught six or the BIG 7 witha well placed shot. Happy hunting.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:45 AM

ORIGINAL: SCHOOLBOY

You can't go wrong with any of the three options. It will come down to personal preference. As far as far as the aught six shooting flatter and with more energy at all distances than the BIG 7 I don't think so. No offence Gags but I read the article on the high energy 06, I posted the link to it. I need more than one source, or even better see it with my own eyes to believe those numbers. Believe 10# of what you read and 50% what you see. Not a single animal out there will know the difference between the aught six or the BIG 7 witha well placed shot. Happy hunting.
Look at his post and you'll see he in fact said 300, referring to the 300 win mag and not the 30-06. He was and is right, the 300 can/does shoot flatter and definately with more punch.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can somebody put up the ballistics of all three of the calibers in thier most common grainage? Thanks

This is a good thread. Lots of good info.

Thanks
Tom
Old 11-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: UThunter

ORIGINAL: SCHOOLBOY

Look at his post and you'll see he in fact said 300, referring to the 300 win mag and not the 30-06. He was and is right, the 300 can/does shoot flatter and definately with more punch.
I believe that Schoolboy was referring to posts made on previous threads.For the record,when you compare bullets of equal sectional density the 7mmremmag and 300win mag offervirtually identical trajectories while the 30-06 is not quite as flat shooting.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:00 PM

OK he is right, I miss read the post I thought he was talking about the 30.06. Sorry. The 300wm is a big step up in energy.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MarinePride

I have a Savage 110E in 7mm Rem. Mag. and I love it. It is a kicker and after 20 rounds it's usually time to call it a day at the range. Heavy clothing will help, but the thing puts out a sharp kick with my 150 gr. reloads.
hehehe, I know what ya mean, I have two 7mm's one in a Savage 110 and one in a Ruger 77 and there is a noticeable difference in the two as far as recoil. My Savage has way sharper of a kick than my Ruger, I dont know if it is stock design or the crappy recoil pad.........hence why I am getting a new stock/pad put on my Savage (but the Savage will shoot circles around the Ruger)