Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Does anybody use gun locks? >

Does anybody use gun locks?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Does anybody use gun locks?

Old 10-24-2005, 09:29 PM

Default RE: Does anybody use gun locks?

trailer your's is a legitimate question. But I wouldn't dream of leaving home without at least a pocket pistol. Staying in a roadside motel is not my idea of "safe quarters" and my biggest fear is car trouble at night and being stuck on the side of the road without something to at leastprotect my family and I. In todays world you simply CANT say what a stranger will or will notdo anymore.

I usually carry a small 9mm KelTec in my pocket all the time anyway. That gun goes on vacation with us in most instances, that or a 38 snubbie I have. Motel 6 may leave the light on for you, but that's about all they can do for you, the rest is up too us!

Better tried by 12 than carried by 6!!!
RA
Old 10-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no chlidren, so I don't use them. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Charley

Unless my doctor was a shooter, I suspect I would tell him to concentrate on his specialty and keep his mouth shut about things he didn't know or understand. Knowledge in one field does not carry over into others.
I don't think a harmless thing like offering free gunlocks is something to get mad at a doctor at. It didn't sound like he was talking down guns or anything. Am i right?
Old 10-25-2005, 05:45 AM

I don't think a harmless thing like offering free gunlocks is something to get mad at a doctor at. It didn't sound like he was talking down guns or anything. Am i right?
I don't know, I wasn't there. As I said, unless I know he is a shooter, I would pretty much disregard any information, spoken or unspoken, he gave about firearms. You want gunlocks? I'll be happy to give away all the uselsss locks I've had come with firearms I've bought. Have a pile of 10 or so. I believe teaching and training are more effective forces for gun safety than inanimate objects like locks, but, hey, that's just my opinion.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last time I took my kids to the doctor on base they had a "do you have firearms in the house" question on the check in form. Of course I replied "None of your business." My children know I own firearms, know where they are located and know not to touch them. Amazing what education on a subject will do to dangerous curiousity.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

Zek I believe I stated that if you didn't have anyother way of locking up your firearms then they WERE a good way to secure them. Gun locks have been in use for ages, but they weren't mandated of mfgrs until the 90s when slick Willy was in office and allowing Sarah Brady to use the Oval Office as her second address!!!

Facts is facts,
RA
Well Red, you didn't say mandatory safety locks the first time, and that's why I jabbed you! What you said was:
"...but to be honest the whole safety lock issue came up only to passify the Klintoon administration and twart possible law suites. ..."

You and I agree totally on safety - and I understood you were saying either through a locked safe or trigger locks or such. You and I also agree totally on how stupid mandatorybuilt in trigger locks are. This is just stupid in my opinion. (But I also think it's stupid not to lock a gun) Law suits against gun manufacturers are stupid and it's a travesty in my opinion that our courts allow these things to proceed.

But you didn't say mandatory the first time (unless I missed it - if so, sorry) and maybe that's what I misunderstood. What I was jabbing you on was the statement which implied that the evil Mr. Clinton was responsible for the "whole safety lock issue" - as ifhe had somehow gotten us gun owners wised up about safety. Frankly,I took your statement as being gratuitous politicizing on your part in a discussion that, in my opinion, had nothing to do with politics or Clinton. I get tired of people who can't avoid politicizing every little thing.

Please take it as a good natured jab because it's obvious that you and I agree on everything pertinent to the discussion at hand, now I understand what you intended to say about mandatory locks!
Old 10-25-2005, 11:15 PM

I think I have more gun locks then I do guns. Have yet to place one on a single gun. I live alone (for now) and 3 of my guns stay loaded most of the time. the other ones are unloaded in cases. some day I will have a nice gun safe to put them all in.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

3 pistols (revolvers) - all have trigger locks
1 shotgun (semi-auto) - cable lock
1 rifle (bolt action) - cable lock
3 kids (girls) - know and respect firearms, but don't know where the keys are.
I don't live in a bad neighborhood, so I don't leave a loaded gun lying around the house. The kids have freinds over all the time and I can't keep up with all of them. It would be irresponsible of me to have a loaded gun lying around for them to find. My work occasionally takes me to bad neighborhoods. I usually go there before noon when the bad actors are still sleeping. I don't have a concealed carry permit and probably wouldn't carry a gun there anyway. I just dress blue-collar and carry a manhole pick because it is sometimes needed for the work and is effective against dogs. I'm also freindly with people so I don't get hassled.