Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Does anybody use gun locks? >

Does anybody use gun locks?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Does anybody use gun locks?

Old 10-24-2005, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Does anybody use gun locks?

Currently, I keep my guns locked in a safe, and ammo locked in another safe. Iown one lock that came with one gun when I bought it, but do not use it.

I took my boys to the pediatrician today for a flu shot, and they had free gun locks! I'm all about getting freebies, so I took one. I can't imagine that I would useit at home, but maybe for traveling or camping the lock might be nice to have.

Does anyone else use them?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does anybody use gun locks?

I have one on my pump shotgun and semi-auto .22, but just take my bolt out of my 6.5 Swede.

Cory
Old 10-24-2005, 06:06 PM

I keep mine in a safe as well, but when I travel i keep locks on them, especially my pistols and revolvers
Old 10-24-2005, 06:22 PM

If you don't have a lockable safe or display cabinet then I would recommend locking them. But otherwise no, IMHO there just isn't any need. I don't lock them while traveling because that means one of two things, either I am on vacation and have handgun with me for safety or I am hunting. Either way I DON'T want locks on them because of the possibility of needing the gun in a hurry (like while on vacation) or loosing the key/combination while hunting and then I would be screwed out of a weapon during the hunt.

Are they safer locked? Sure but to be honest the whole safety lock issue came up only to passify the Klintoon administration and twart possible law suites. The lawsuites continued anyway didn't they? Paying attention too the guns location at ALL times and keeping it properly stored (which means ammo in a seperate location) is a must. If you can't insure that then yes DO lock them.

My kids wont dare touch a gun without an adult around and without permission. They know the results if they dont!
RA
Old 10-24-2005, 06:23 PM

I don't use them.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:33 PM

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

Are they safer locked? Sure but to be honest the whole safety lock issue came up only to passify the Klintoon administration and twart possible law suites. The lawsuites continued anyway didn't they? Paying attention too the guns location at ALL times and keeping it properly stored (which means ammo in a seperate location) is a must. If you can't insure that then yes DO lock them.
RA
Well, I don't know where a statement like this comes from? I've been using trigger locks on my rifles and shotguns since the 80s, when I started having kids. If I'm not mistaken, RR was president then. I didn't know he was a bleeding heart anti-gunner! Why wouldn't you use a trigger lock if you didn't have another way of securing the gun? It has nothing to do with politics or lawsuits. It has to do with avoiding accidents. Oh by the way, I also lock my ammo in a different location and also train my kids the way you did. But unless you have a secure storage place, trigger locks with the other precautions are the way to go.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:02 PM

Zek I believe I stated that if you didn't have anyother way of locking up your firearms then they WERE a good way to secure them. Gun locks have been in use for ages, but they weren't mandated of mfgrs until the 90s when slick Willy was in office and allowing Sarah Brady to use the Oval Office as her second address!!!

Facts is facts,
RA
Old 10-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

I DON'T want locks on them because of the possibility of needing the gun in a hurry (like while on vacation)
Sorry Red but I have to ask. Why would you require a gun while on vacation unless you’re going in a remote area or a bad part of the country?? I would never consider brining a gun with me while on holidays, even camping which I’ve done for many years. Don’t get me wrong Red, it’s just an innocent question.

As for the gun lock question, I used to use the gun lock but was always concern of leaving the keys behind or loosing them. Most people I hunt with use gun locks, just not me.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:25 PM

No
Old 10-24-2005, 09:06 PM

Defense guns are accessable...doesn't make much sense for them not to be. Hunting and collectables are mostly in the safe(s). Don't have any small children around. When my children were small,I took the apparently unheard of step to teach them not to mess with firearms, unlessI was present. I did render my defense guns somewhat safer (auto-pistols required slapping the magazine home and cycling the slide, revolvers were stored with a speed loader in the cylinder, needed to dump the speed loader and close the cylinder). Adults familiar with guns can do so in the dark, under stress, very quickly,but young children are probably not going to be able to in any reasonable time. Children under 10 or so will also not usually have the strength to cyclethe slide on a 1911, anyway.
When children came to visit, guns were stored out of sight and reach.

Unless my doctor was a shooter, I suspect I would tell him to concentrate on his specialty and keep his mouth shut about things he didn't know or understand. Knowledge in one field does not carry over into others.

Quick Reply: Does anybody use gun locks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.