Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

L&R RPL locks

Old 01-05-2007, 02:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default L&R RPL locks

Does anyone own/use one of L&R's RPL locks? I bought one and fitted it to a T/C Renegade stock about a month ago and had a lot of problems with it. I fitted it into the stockaccording to their instructions without any problems, but when I sat down for an afternoon of sight-in and shooting, after about a half dozen shots it began to smash and break flints. I tried both leather and lead in the jaws and it took me the better part of the afternoon and about 5 new flintsto get a couple dozen shots off. When I took the gun in for cleaning...I took the lock off and noticed that the frizzen was "tipped" outward and wouldn't sit squarely on the pan. I contacted L&R and they said to send it back as there definetely must be something wrong. I have always heard a lot of praise for their locks and that's why I went with one. Needless to say....I was not happy! I have NEVER had that problem with any of my T/C locks. I am now awaiting a new lock from L&R. Any comments or info appreciated......BPS
Old 01-05-2007, 03:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: L&R RPL locks

I hear chambers locks are the best.a buddie of mine has the L@R on t/c pa hunter had to reinletted He seem to like and has no problems: could be just a bad lock I do here good reviews,I almost bought one (think they are located in the carolinas) but there warranty was so,so too me.
I have 3 flinters all t/c all work outstanding all have the new hammers and t/c upgraded frizzen( I myself like lyman frizzen added to a t/c lock) and with there new ventliners and there warranty I find t/c locks o.k.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just thought I'd let everyone know that the good folks at L&R sent my lock back to me re-worked at no cost with an apology and letter of explanation ( and some new English flints as well). It seems that the original mainspring was too stiff and besides smashing flints, it knocked the frizzen out of whack. They replaced the mainspring, frizzen and screw and tested the lock. They told me everything seems to be O.K. I haven't had time to get it back on and sit down for another trial run but will post the result when I do.....BPS
Old 01-24-2007, 04:49 AM

Glad to hear they gotit straightened out, they make what appears to be some really nice locks. I only wish they made a left hand RPL for Lyman flintlocks, I asked them about 4 years ago about it and just didn't have enough demand but seemed willing to try to figure out what might be close(as far as other models go)to lining up. Sure wish they'd make a drop in...