Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What rifle actions out there are forged? >

What rifle actions out there are forged?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What rifle actions out there are forged?

Old 10-20-2005, 02:01 PM

Default What rifle actions out there are forged?

What readily available mainline actions other then a Howa are forged?
Old 10-21-2005, 07:27 AM

Default RE: What rifle actions out there are forged?

Interesting question. However, the answer could well be all...most....or none. The forging...even of the Howa, consists of turning a basic hunk of gun steel into something roughly resembling a receiver. The vast majority of the actual work is done by machining. The real question is, which rifles have receiver BLANKS which are formed by forging, from a billet...or might be investment cast ? I know of none which are investment cast. However, most of the ones of which I know are actually machined from a rough blank....which is itself machined from a billet. So, IF you are somehow implying with your question that a rough-forged receiver is somehow better than a fully machined one....I'd have to say - nonsense. If comparing a forged blank....and an investment-cast one.....you might have an argument. However, ultimate strength and stability has more to do with the DESIGN, rather than the process used to create the crude blank.

Old 10-21-2005, 11:32 AM

[quote][The real question is, which rifles have receiver BLANKS which are formed by forging, from a billet...or might be investment cast ? I know of none which are investment cast. /quote]

Ruger 77 and the Montana RifleMan action is investment cast.

[quote][F you are somehow implying with your question that a rough-forged receiver is somehow better than a fully machined one....I'd have to say - nonsense/quote]

No one to my knowledge makes a fully forged reciever witho9ut dimensional machining, it would be impossible to create the tight tolerances needed and no I am not implying that at all. Only two that i know of are the Howa and the pre-64 Model 70 and both are great actions. Just wondering if anyone else knows of any other forged actions
Old 10-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

They have steels that that are stonger than forgings.
A forged receiver doesn't nessesarily make it stronger than one that is not forged.
The firearms people use steels that have good machining properties,can be heat treated or are tough enough without heat treating. With all the differant alloys I would think they would use the one that does the job with the least amount of work. Which in turn save the buyer money.