Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 TARGET AND VARMINT RIFLE >

TARGET AND VARMINT RIFLE

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

TARGET AND VARMINT RIFLE

Old 10-16-2005, 11:35 AM

Default TARGET AND VARMINT RIFLE

I am looking for a rifle to use for both a target rifle and a varmint rifle. the range i shoot at is 200 yrds so that would be the most for target shooting,varmint shooting i would shoot farther once i know my gun. I dont know what caliber i should get? I live in iowa where it can get windy and its fairly wide open so that is a factor. I also want to get into reloading. I thought about getting a cooper rifle but i figure why ruin a good gun learning to shoot far distances and reloading, So i think i may be a remington.I want a gun with good barrel life too. Any sugestions would help

thanks

scott
Old 10-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: TARGET AND VARMINT RIFLE

Well this leaves a lot of room for possiblities. The 22-250 is a great long range varmit cartridge but its wind bucking abilities would not be as good as say a 243 or better yet a 25-06. Leaning more toward the target end, I would go with a 308. I did a lot of target shooting with the 308 and often used it for long range prairie dog shooting. So I quess I would say the 25-06 if varmits are the main objective or the 308 if targets are the main goal. Don't overlook the Savage rifle when you start shopping. Its a low cost quality rifle.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:49 AM

I think I'd go with a Savage, in either .223 or .308. I lean towards the .223, since you can load heavy bullets or light, and it'll shoot well with both extremes. The Accutriggers are pretty decent, and they have enough variations to make it hard to pick one (Remington does, too, and Remington's triggers are pretty good). I like the modular aspect of the Savages, though, I've had several, and all shot very well, and they are typically a good deal less costly than Remingtons, easier to rebarrel when you wear one out, etc. Savages aren't too pretty, but that VLP is pretty sweet. It all depends on what you want to shoot, I like .223s because I shoot Prairie Dogs, and they don't wear you out, doing it. Accumulative recoil from a .308 will beat you up at the end of a day's shooting. There are other chamberings, of course, but those are probably best for beginning handloaders.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

As far as the Cartridges, the .243 Winchester& 6mm Remington would be good choices.

As far as the Rifle, you'll have to do some research on that. I still haven't made up my mind on what my next Rifle will be. Decisions, decisions.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

One rifle that might work for your application is the Remington Model 700 VLS. It has a good selection of cartridges. You can check the link for more info. www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700vls.htm I have this rifle and find it works well.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 223 is great out to about 300 yards and is cheap to shoot and easy on barrels.The 22-250 does better at longer yardages and at bucking wind.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:15 PM

Cartridge: 243Win.
Rifle: Whatever please ya'. The 243 is very popular, and widely available.
For what you're wanting to do I'd probably look to a heavy barreled Remington 700 or maybe one of the Ruger varmint rifles.

Old 10-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have a remington 700 in 22-250 and i love it, i have heard barrel life is somewhat less than desireable but i have not found that to be my case, mine is over 15 years old,i dont shoot mine that often though, a friend of mine that does shoot often,shoots a 6mm, and he has been very happy, the only gun i keep out of my safe is a nef in .243, i keep it out for coyotes and stray dogs, before anybody gets excited we raise goats, and i don't need somebodies flea-bag relieveing me of 50-150$, the 243 is a great little caliber also, like has been mentioned a 223 has all kinds of ammo choices, it all boils down to what is the most important part of the equation, i think you'd enjoy any of those calibers, i reload and if you don't consider ammo cost[:@], and availibility, good luck let us know what you decide on.....
Old 10-17-2005, 03:18 PM

i am going to go with the remington 700 vls in .243. My next question is i am going to go with a zeiss conquest scope i am thinking about the 4.5x14 but should i go with the 6.5X20? Everyones thoughts would be helpful

thanks
Old 10-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 6-20 x 40mm scope for my rifle and find it’s a good combo. You could get away with the 14 power but personally I would rather have the option to increase the power past 14 if required. Like I said, just my opinion. Good luck.

I forgot, good choice for the rifle.

Quick Reply: TARGET AND VARMINT RIFLE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.