Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Lee Enfield .303 British? >

Lee Enfield .303 British?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lee Enfield .303 British?

Old 10-16-2005, 12:46 PM

Default RE: Lee Enfield .303 British?

I've never been sorry about buying my ROF FTR No4 MkI Enfield. It is not the most accurate of my military surplus rifles, that honor goes to my Swede Mauser with an honorable mention to a German Oberndorf Mauser. However, the Enfield will put many more rounds into a man-sized target at 200 yards in a given period of time than will either my Swede or my Oberndorf. The Enfields were some of the most practical bolt action battle rifles of all time.

A military surplus collection can be an awful lot of fun for not much money. The major ammo makers are well aware of the strength limitations of these older actions so you will tend to find calibers such as .303, 8x57 and 6.5x55 to be rather mildly loaded. Also, there is still a farirly good supply of milsurp .303 ammo out there, probably corrosive though. If all you want to do is poke holes in paper at the range then you woun't have a care in the world with either as long as you clean the corrosive stuff out immediately. If you want to hunt, however, there are many better choices for just a bit more money...

I'd say go for it!