Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Thoughts on the Browning BLR in 358 Win.??? >

Thoughts on the Browning BLR in 358 Win.???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thoughts on the Browning BLR in 358 Win.???

Old 09-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Thoughts on the Browning BLR in 358 Win.???

I'm really thinking of getting a Browning BLR in 358 Win. I have a pre-'64 Winchester model 88 in 308 Win. and I absolutely love it. I wouldn't mind a model 88 in 358 Win. but I'm not going to pay the price their getting for a used rifle when I can buy a new rifle for 1/2 or even 1/3 the price. I was at Gander Mountain this past weekend and was looking at a BLR in 358 Win. that had the "strait grip" stock. It felt pretty go but I would much rather have the "pistol grip" stock which they didn't have. Both the strait grip and pistol grip stock rifles have the same length of pull, drop at comb and drop at heel so I'm pretty sure the pistol grip will feel even better!

I've always been a "buy American kind of guy" and I still am (these are manufactured in Japan), but nobody else makes anything like this anymore. A lever action rifle with a box feed magazine so you can use pointed bullet! From what I've heard these BLR's are extremely accurate rifles. My model 88 will shoot right around an inch at 100 yards so I know "some" lever action rifles are capable of bolt action accuracy.

The BLR in 358 Win. weighs 6 1/2 lbs. This rifle with a Leupold VX-II 2-7x28mm Ultralight Scope will weight about the same as my Marlin 336CS in 35 Rem. without a scope, thats another reason I like this rifle so much!
I'll be using this rifle for deer, black bear and maybe wild boar hunting. I want to start reloading pretty soon so ammo cost and availability won't be and issue. I was going to get a 350 Rem. Mag. or a 35 Whelen, but I think they'll be more gun then I need!

What do you guys/gals think???
Old 09-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on the Browning BLR in 358 Win.???

New York, I've had a BLR .358 with a Nikon Monarch
3.5-10x50 since 1993, but I only take it out west.
I took it to canada in 1995.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I liked the older ones in 358 Win. However I have no use for the new lightweight version of it. IMO.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just make sure it has a good trigger it is very hard to find someone to work on it. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:57 AM

I'll be using this rifle for deer, black bear and maybe wild boar hunting.
IMHO, the 358Win. is one of the best, and a very underrated cartridge. I'm not all that fond of the BLR (I like my levers in Marlins), but from the few I've encountered they seem to be well made, and are pretty accurate too.
A 358Win. will, for sure, handle all the game you noted, and with power to spare. To quote from my old Speer manual, "The 358 is one of the best woods cartridges ever designed. ..... The deer and elk hunter would be hard-pressed to find another cartridge which would show significant gains in field performance over that of the 358 unless he needs something for longer shots."
The late Jack O'Conner had this to say (speaking of himself with regard to deer rifles/cartridges); "He regards the neglected and obsolescent 358Win. ..... as probably the most deadly woods cartridge in existence, not only for deer but for elk and even moose. The 358 has the power and weight to drive deep on the rear-end shots which the woods hunter all too often has to take." (The Hunting Rifle)
Even old Elmer Keith had good comments for the 358Win.

My own 358 is a Ruger 77RS carbine, and I've got a Leupold 1-4x scope mounted. It's light, but well balanced, and very fast to get on target.
And, it's also pretty accurate too - with Winchester factory 200gr. ammo. Shoots into groups of approx. 1 to 1-1/4".

You won't go wrong with a good 358Win. And, being as you'll be rolling your own, it'll be even more versatile for you.

BTW, it lays them deer down good - and they stay down.